Menu
nickjesse
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How can I make my Virgin.net emails work ("user name or password not recognised")

Hi

Been a virgin.net customer since Telewest days, using only M200 fibre broadband with my virgin.net emails.

I can no longer send or receive virgin.net emails since 1 February 2021. 

What is the problem? Is there a solution? 

Can virgin.net please fix this, and let me have the correct POP and IMAP settings for my iMac and new  iPhone12.

If my emails have been compromised, how can I change my PASSWORD?

Thanks

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can I make my Virgin.net emails work ("user name or password not recognised")

is your email address linked to your current VM broadband account?
Or was it setup on another (now closed) VM account
0 Kudos
nickjesse
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can I make my Virgin.net emails work ("user name or password not recognised")

hi, and thank you for your prompt reply to my problems logging in to my virgin.net email account.

I have only had ONE broadband account (no problems at all, with a nice upgraded Hub3 router), which came with two virgin.net email accounts - one for me, and one for my wife. Her email account works without any problems, it's only mine [REMOVED] that no longer works. Maybe mine has a "password" issue, but I cannot find any way to change it. Most other sites these days have a link that says something like "Forgot password? Link here to change it..."

Is there a site or link for virgin.net email users to change or update their passwords?

Take care...stay safe

Nick

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@nickjesse Yes there is a forgotten password route.

virgin-media-reset-username-and-password 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nickjesse
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, and thanks

Sadly the route you suggest does not change my virgin.net password...  it does not accept the answer to my security question, and does not accept my account details (Account number 337407301 area ref: 03)

I have tried many times, with no success, and am no further forward. It even says I have a Virginmedia account using an ancient and redundant Blueyonder email address!

I'd be grateful for a solution to change my virgin.net email password by some other method.

Many thanks!

cheers

Nick

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have asked the VM Forum Team to help you with this.

I would add that virgin.net email addresses do not relate back to the Telewest days. As far as I know all Telewest legacy emails use the blueyonder.co.uk domain.  That would tally with the forgotten username link telling you that your blueyonder email address is your primary username

Virgin.net addresses generally originate from dial up accounts offered before  cable broadband became a thing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'd agree with Graham here.  Telewest used blueyonder.co.uk as their email domain back in the day.  Virgin.net was a collaboration between Virgin Group and NTL (before the latter merged with Telewest) to provide dial up internet services.  Later on the virgin.net was taken over solely by NTL.  Some virgin.net users went on to acquire broadband accounts via ADSL and in some cases via Cable, but unless the virgin.net emails were specifically linked to those accounts through a move and transfer process, they would have remained tied to the now defunct dial up service which closed back in 2013.  Many of these addresses SHOULD have closed automatically long before now.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
nickjesse
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for your information and guidance.

Stay safe!

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to using my virgin.net emails again after all these years if VM can sort things out very soon.

However, if I get used to my smart and easy new gmail ...

Again...thanks

cheers

Nick

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nickjesse
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks!
0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, nickjesse,

Sorry to hear that you are having email issues. If the mailbox is linked to an active account then we will be able to help. Unfortunately mailboxes that are not linked to an active media account are deleted by the system.

I will send you a private message to confirm your account details.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos