Menu
PELLI
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How Do I download old emails onto new computer

I have recently bought a new computer and use Outlook for my several email addresses.All new emails are arriving as expected but I would like access to my old emails without having to use Webmail.  Is there a way to do this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How Do I download old emails onto new computer

Sounds like you are using one of the old fashioned POP mail accounts. These will only download once from the server to an email client. Unless you go through & set all messages to "unread" on the server they are unlikely to download.

Far better to swap to an IMAP account (would need a new email address). This just puts a header on the email client, allowing you to use several devices with the same email account, & updating any changes you make on all devices whether its on a PC, tablet or phone..

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
PELLI
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you are right. My NTLWorld email address dates many years back. I might try the unread and see what happens. I would prefer not to use a new address. I already have a Virgin Mail address but that is pretty old too. My old computer is still functioning so maybe I shall just have to bear with it if I wish to look up an old email.

Many thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@PELLI wrote:

I ...........use Outlook for my several email addresses.................. I would like access to my old emails without having to use Webmail.  Is there a way to do this?

You could install and use Thunderbird which is a free email client very similar to Outlook. https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/ and here is a link to their support pages which give you lots of info on how to set up and use it. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird/install-migrate-and-update

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you used MS Outlook on your old system you should be able to import the .pst file into your new computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/287070/how-to-manage-pst-files-in-microsoft-outlook

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
PELLI
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Very many thanks. I did use MS Outlook on the old computer so will look into this.

What is very interesting is I marked all my virgin mail as unread. They did not download onto my new computer BUT I have just opened my iPAD and over 1300 old emails have downloaded into my ntlworld.com account.
0 Kudos
PELLI
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you so much. I now seem to have a number of options to look at.
0 Kudos
PELLI
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. I am impressed with the help that the forum has given me. You may see that 1300 VM emails downloaded onto my iPad without any assistance, other than marking my VMail as unread.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@PELLI wrote:

What is very interesting is I marked all my virgin mail as unread. They did not download onto my new computer BUT I have just opened my iPAD and over 1300 old emails have downloaded into my ntlworld.com account.

Did you shut your iPad down before marking everything as unread?

Chances are you didn’t, resulting in an auto download to your iPad before your PC got the chance, & another reason for only using POP accounts on one device. That is all they were designed to use.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
PELLI
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My iPad was not shut down, only closed. I am afraid I am not at all technical and didn't think about shutting it down. I need to download my email to my iPad when I don't have access to my computer. All these emails would already have been under my ntl email address dating from 2013 (when I bought the iPad) at their appropriate date and I now realise a search on the iPad might have been sufficient for my needs. I shall delete and turn off my iPad in the hope I can select all the mail again and open it on my new computer.

Thank you for your advice.

0 Kudos