cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting email isn't exactly hard, why are you, a large corporation, so bad at this very simple task?

cscott9251
Joining in

Look I'm sorry but I've been experiencing consistent "This site can’t be reached" errors when trying to access my email through your website for what feels like a two or so years, or more, on and off, but mostly on. You're a huge corporation. You rake in billions in profit. Granted, your CEO is a sociopathic cretin who sued the NHS when a Virgin Health tender wasn't accepted (during a competitive tendering process...corruption much?), whose only interest is the accumulation of disproportionate amounts of wealth, no matter the human cost and exploitation. So maybe customers being able to consistently access their webmail, which they pay for, isn't high up on his agenda. 

I have never experienced a single problem with my Gmail, or any of my other email hosts. I would understand if some sort of unforeseen disaster caused servers to go down, or something like that, but this is these are the kind of errors and issues I would expect from 14 year old HTML newbie in the 90s, trying to set up email hosting by trial and error. It really is amateur. And I'm not exaggerating. It's email. It's existed since the early 90s. What level of incompetence or dysfunctionality is afoot within Virgin Media if they can't even get this right? I really think I could do a better job.

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Virgin Media rent the Virgin brand.  Old Beardo has no involvement in the business, nor as far as I'm aware any ownership of Virgin Media or its parent company, Liberty Global.

But you're quite right about the fact that VM are clueless about running an email service.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cscott9251 wrote:

Granted, your CEO is a sociopathic cretin who sued the NHS when a Virgin Health tender wasn't accepted

In fact the CEO of Virgin Media is Lutz Schüler, https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/leadership 

Virgin Media is owned by the American corporation Liberty Global the multinational telecommunication organisation.VM has nothing to do with the Virgin Group other than paying for the right to use the brand name.

To complicate matters further, since 2015  VM has been using the email service provided by Liberty Global's Dutch subsidiary Ziggo.

There may well be, as you say"incompetence or dysfunctionality" within VM but the crux of the matter (in my opinion) is that their email service comes pretty low in their priorities.

The VM email service is lacking in many areas including security and support. That is why I have never used it despite the fact I have been a customer of VM since before it was called Virgin Media.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sololobo
Superstar

Virgin Media customers don't pay for an email service as it's designated as a "value added" extra, thus no guarantees or SLA' in its use.
In other words "like it or lump it", or use another (better) non ISP provided service.

I'd go for the latter.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @cscott9251,

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry for any inconvenience with your email, I will send you a private message so I can raise this further.

Please look out for a plum envelope at the top right of your screen.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide