cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with my old blueyonder.co.uk email

SachinKP
Joining in

Hi,

I am no longer a virgin customer but I have been using my blueyonder.co.uk as my main email address for years. Recently I received an email from a hacker saying they had my details and asking me for money etc. I also have been receiving a few emails from various accounts saying that someone was trying to change my username or access my account, so I have been in the painful and longwinded process of going through and changing passwords to multiple accounts. A couple of days ago I started receiving a message saying that there was an issue with the password on my blueyonder.co.uk account, and now I suspect that the hacker may have gotten in and changed my password, similar to the issue below. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Support-for-blueyonder-co-uk/m-p/4912380#M2985968

In the above thread, you guys sounded like you were able to check to see if my email account is still active (I think it is as I tried a free email address validator earlier today). Is that something that can be done to see if there is any activity on the account? I realize that supposedly these email addresses should have been closed after 90 days of leaving VM, and sometimes there might be a clean up, but I have had this email for years and it feels like a bit of a coincidence that this has happened so close to the other issues I mentioned above, and given it still seems to be active I would like to try and get it restated so I can transfer everything across to a new email, or at least know that it is closed and no damage can be done.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks

Sash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for joining me on private message @SachinKP 

My apologies were not able to get the preferred outcome in regards to reactivating the mailbox. Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SachinKP 

Welcome to the community forums

Sorry to hear of your issues with your blueyonder email and the messages the hacker is sending you, causing concern. 

I can certainly check to see if the account has not been deleted or if it is still active or even locked at our side. We would need to pass full account security to be able to discuss this with you, but I can request the email be deleted with passing this, if it has been over the 90 days we advise for mailbox termination after broadband service disconnection.

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon.

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for joining me on private message @SachinKP 

My apologies were not able to get the preferred outcome in regards to reactivating the mailbox. Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

My apologies once again that we were not able to re-activate the mailbox for you, and so you were unable to obtain and transfer any important emails. 

While we appreciate that you have had the mailbox for some time. The mailbox itself should have been deleted and removed from service within 90 days of the broadband account being closed, as we detailed within the Terms & Conditions (specifically section D, paragraph 6), which reads "If this agreement ends, your right to use that email address will also end and you will no longer be able to use the email address, so please make sure you have an alternative email address and let your contacts know of the change, as we cannot do this for you."

We also detail this in the Acceptable Use Policy (section 6.5 under Email use), which reads "It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your Virgin Media email account. Upon suspension or termination of services the content may be removed and permanently deleted by Virgin Media without notice."

I can only apologies that you had access to the mailbox and it remained active for you much longer than we advise customer and that it should have ceased within 90 days of the broadband account closing. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley