cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with orphaned email account please!

Sparrowhawk65
Tuning in

I really hope that someone can help me with this. Long story short: I had a Virgin Media account for years when I was living in SM4 but when my husband died, I moved to CT14 in 2017 where there was no Virgin coverage. My virginmedia email account was therefore disabled yet I was still able to send and receive emails until my laptop hard drive died along with my Outlook settings. I'm really worried that, despite sending a lot of my contacts my replacement gmail address before I was 'orphaned', it seems that there is no auto reply to indicate that emails are not being delivered and I maybe unaware of important emails received. Is there any way at all that I can retrieve/see any unread emails and/or set up a non-delivery?

Hoping you can help.

Tamsin

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sparrowhawk65 wrote:

Is there any way at all that I can retrieve/see any unread emails and/or set up a non-delivery?

You don' t specifically say but I assume that you don't know the password to the email account.

In that case I would suggest you try resetting the password for the email account from here https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password   Enter the email address as the username and follow the prompts.

If you get the error "Unable to find username" that means the webmail account for that address is closed. When VM "delete" an orphan email account they seem to remove access to the webmail account but often they do not get round to deleting the mailbox itself.

Email apps and clients such as Outlook effectively access the mailbox directly rather than via the webmail account, That is why you continued to be able to send and receive emails via Outlook.  

If you can reset the password you should be able to access the email account from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ 

However, the long term answer is to get VM to delete the account completely. That way, anyone who sends an email to that address will get an error message back that the account no longer exists.

The Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) can arrange to get that done for you. One of them will contact you via this thread in the next few days.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you so much for your time and very useful advice. It seems that my webmail account has been deleted. I'll see if I can reset a new Outlook account in order to view any unread emails but I will need the account deleted completely.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Tamsin,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums. I'm sorry to hear it seems that your email address has now been deleted due to not being attached to an active subscription.

As Coenoby has correctly advised - once the email account has been completely shut down, any emails that users try to send to that address will receive a bounce-back notification. I'll be happy to help get the account shut down for you if needed.

I've popped you over a private message so I can help further from there.

Kind regards

Beth

Hi Tamsin,

I'd just like to confirm that the mailbox has now been deleted for you 🙂

Kind regards

Beth

Thank you.