Menu
ReneB
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Having problems recieving my virgin.net emails using Windows Live Mail client

I have had this "virgin.net" email account for over 12 years.

I first used it with "Outlook Express" client, then switched over to "Windows Live Mail" client when Microsoft made their changes.

I have had no problem with this set-up over the years, until a few days back (30th Sept 2020) when I could no longer download my email from the Virgin server. I always used "remember password" to save me having to type it out each time.

I now keep getting this message relating to "password", which I have never had to type out before due to "remember password" option

Unable to send or receive messages for the Virgin (xxxx.x) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed.
Server: 'pop.virgin.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

Does anyone know how I can resolve this. I'm worried that Virgin might have (accidentally) blocked or erased this account somehow.

0 Kudos
ReneB
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Having problems recieving my virgin.net emails using Windows Live Mail client

Any virginmedia technicians or experts online?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Having problems recieving my virgin.net emails using Windows Live Mail client

Do you have a current VM broadband account and is the virgin.net email address concerned showing under the My Profile or Manage Accounts tabs when signed into your primary my Virgin media account?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Are you a current Virgin Media broadband customer?

(Apologies for cross-posting, I'll leave for others to respond.)

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
ReneB
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Reply to Graham A & Sololobo

Yes, I have Virgin media broadband account.......however on this website I have an "ntlworld.com" email account registered here and remains a web-based one, as I use it very rarely..

My "virgin.net" email account is NOT registered on this website. I created that email account after I became a user of virgin.broadband, although I did try to add it the other day, but it got rejected during set-up.

I use my main email account i.e "virgin.net address" in conjunction with "Windows Live Mail" client.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@ReneB Thanks for replying.  Not sure about your references to 'this website'. If you mean this community help site it is independent of the My Virgin Media account website.

If your virgin.net email address does not show up when logged in to your primary Virgin Media broadband account under either the My Profile or Manage Accounts tabs then the account is orphaned and liable to closure by VM at anytime.

It may be possible to move it to your current account, but that would be at the expense of lossing all email addresses currently on that account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
ReneB
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham

I've been using that virgin.net email addy for like the last 10 or 12 years......first with Outlook Express client, then over to Windows Live Mail client after Microsoft ditched OE client.

It's by no means redundant or inactive as on average it receives about 6 emails daily....it's registered everywhere as my main email account.

Yes ....I meant this virginmedia website.....this community forum seems to subset of the main website.

0 Kudos
ReneB
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

On this webpage--->......the Virginmedia home page......I cannot see the "My Profile" or "Managed Accounts" options

https://www.virginmedia.com/

Scrapped the above

I have located "My Profile" with tabs of "Managed Accounts"

Under User & Password......i have my "ntlworld" email address there

Under contact details.....it is showing my "virgin.net" email account (e.g my Virgin eBills go to that email account)

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks,

That confirms that your virgin.net account is indeed an orphaned account and as such liable to removal by VM at any point.

As to your response re this community forum it is absolutely not a subset of the Virgin Media account website.  The login details are entirely separate.  That said the Community is still owned and moderated by VM employees.  The Forum Team who reply to posts that the community cannot resolve are also VM employees.

0 Kudos
ReneB
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin.net password reset

Hi Rachel

I'm also a virgin.net email victim.

I have had a "virgin.net" email address for more than 12 years (maybe longer) when I had a virgin dial-up account......it's been my main email account for all these years and I use in conjunction with an external "Windows Live Mail" client to send & receive emails.

For my Virginmedia website a/c, I have a rarely used "ntlworld.com" registered email address attached to it

Around the 30th Sept 2020, I started having issues downloading "virgin.net" emails in my Windows Live Mail client....it came up with password issues, which I never had before as i have "remember password" ticked.

I would like to add that virgin.net email address to my Virginmedia Profile if it means saving that email account....I don't mind if the existing "ntlworld.com" email details, addresses, contacts are scrubbed in the process as i rarely used it. I would still like using my "Windows Live Mail" client however as opposed to web-based.

The strange thing is that under My profile "Username & Password" it correctly shows my "ntlworld.com" email address, whilst under Contact Details it shows my "virgin.net" email account (that is were my Virgin eBills go to).....so Virginmedia must be aware that this account is very much active.

ta

0 Kudos