Menu
backwhisperer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hacked threat including password

Hi,

I've just had my first couple of emails claiming to have hacked my account.

They include my password (just changed that) and ask for bitcoin payment to avoid supposed webcam videos being circulated to contacts.

Is my best first action to delete contacts, inform contacts or delete the account ...

and how do I go about doing each of those.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked threat including password

Do none of the above, are there actually any webcam footage of you doing the things mentioned? Do you even have a webcam? No, thought not!

What you need to do is stop using the same password for different things and systematically go through all of your online accounts and change the passwords on all of them to something different and unique, and not 'Password1', 'Password2' etc.

All the 'hackers' (and I'll use the term lightly) have done is purchased a set of email addresses and passwords from some site you have used and has managed to get itself hacked and systematically gone through the list working on the assumption that many people use the same password everywhere and so made you think that they have gotten access to your email. You've changed the email password which is good, so don't panic and just secure all your other accounts.

backwhisperer
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 wrote:

Do none of the above, are there actually any webcam footage of you doing the things mentioned? Do you even have a webcam? No, thought not!

What you need to do is stop using the same password for different things and systematically go through all of your online accounts and change the passwords on all of them to something different and unique, and not 'Password1', 'Password2' etc.

All the 'hackers' (and I'll use the term lightly) have done is purchased a set of email addresses and passwords from some site you have used and has managed to get itself hacked and systematically gone through the list working on the assumption that many people use the same password everywhere and so made you think that they have gotten access to your email. You've changed the email password which is good, so don't panic and just secure all your other accounts.

Hi, thanks for this ...

The password referred to in the email is only used for the virgin.net email account, which I have had without issue since 1998, and which is only secondary now, being kept only for contacts/records etc.

All other passwords are different.

Does this mean that basically the hacker is trawling in the hope of coming across someone who thinks they have material that makes them blackmail able?

If so I don't have anything to worry about!

Had a hack into a Facebook account recently as well but I'm not aware of any direct link to this email address.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

if you have had 2 accounts hacked recently you have more security problems.

You need to look at the passwords you are using, security software and make sure you are using 2 factor auth were possible

Highlighted
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

How were you able to change the password if you are not a VM broadband customer?  Have you rejoined since Nov 2014?  Is the email address that we are discussing today linked to your billing account?  You would be best advised to check it is.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Why-can-I-not-access-a-secondary-email-address-de...

The warning still stands -Virgin will delete it eventually if you are not a customer.  Here is their standard security advice file most of which is useful to non-customers as well as customers.  Good luck!

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@backwhisperer wrote:

Does this mean that basically the hacker is trawling in the hope of coming across someone who thinks they have material that makes them blackmail able?

Absolutely! Basically it's a classic scam. The scammer puts forward a piece of false information such as "Your broadband is going to be cut off in 2 days", "Your payment falied" or "I have hacked your computer" knowing full well that a percentage of victims will fall for it and take the bait. The scammer only needs a few people to be taken in to make a big profit. And, of course once someone has fallen for one scam, they are marked down as an easy touch for other scams.

If so I don't have anything to worry about!

Yes you do!

You need to keep on your toes. There are a lot of classic scams such as this one that will never go away but the scammers will always come up with new twists to these old favourites. You may have dodged this one but don't let your guard down.

Also, as apcyberax points out, you obviously have some security issues with other online accounts so you need to take a hard look at your strategy for creating and using passwords.

You also need to look at using 2 Factor Authentication wherever it is available and using an email service which provides that higher level of security (like Gmail or Outlook.com). VM's email service is not a secure service.Smiley Frustrated

Finally, using you old virgin.net email account to store "contacts and records" is a bad move. Anything could happen to that email account and you will have lost the lot. VM do not keep back ups. How would you get over that? At the very least make sure that you have all those contacts and any important emails backed up somewhere else. That should be a real priority for you.

Other than that little lot, you're all fineSmiley Happy

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
backwhisperer
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.

There IS a link to Facebook in that this is the email address in the account details.

I have just changed that o er to my Gmail address.

0 Kudos
backwhisperer
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you as well ...

I haven't rejoined or whatever since 2014 but I have just successfully changed my password, with notification and authentication done via my Gmail account.

Is it likely that the virgin.net email addresses (there is one other linked address) would be closed without notice or is there a protocol for giving people notice?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi backwhisperer,

Sorry you've had security concerns with regards to your online accounts, but I'm glad that our community has provided relevant information.

Any Virgin-hosted email accounts should be closed within 90 days from your services disconnecting. We are aware of a number of customers who have not had this process completed. We are, therefore, in the middle of clear-up activity to remove any orphaned email accounts. Any affected email addresses should receive notification once they have been identified for closure, advising the recommended next steps, although I would certainly recommend backing up any important information as soon as you have the chance, just in case.

Thanks,

Rachael

backwhisperer
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that ...

Is there a link for instruction on making copies of emails and addresses to, say, a folder on another device?

Appreciate the help!

0 Kudos