cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked email - help

Riversider
Joining in

No longer a Virgin customer after moving house but still have an old email account that has been hacked and I am being targeted by those responsible with threatening messages.

Because I no longer have a Virgin Media accountI I can’t change my password so have no alternative but to delete the account. However despite many conversations with Customer Services no one seems to be able to arrange this despite this being a clear breach of GDPR and the Data Protection Act. Spending hours on the phone going over the same details with different advisors is just so frustrating

in effect this also  means I am now vulnerable to my email being used for all sorts of fraudulent purposes.

Caring for my wife who has terminal cancer and having to deal with this is just stressing me out.

Come on VM please sort this out

9 REPLIES 9

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Riversider

We're sorry to hear of the email account issues and the correspondence received. We appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums and welcome to the community.

I will send you a Private Message to get some more details from you to assist with this and look forward to your response.

Rob

So despite being assured that my hacked email account would be deleted I am still waiting a week later whilst Virgin Media pass it from one team to another. 

Nobody seems to want to take ownership of my issue and communication is pathetic. No updates as to what is happening. I have to chase them without any reasonable response.

I know I am no longer a customer after 30 years of paying my bills on time but to be treated like this is absolutely appalling. Failure to protect my personal information being a breach of GDPR and the Data Protection Act, one of the principles being that Virgin Media will keep its customers’ personal information secure. 

Frankly, very disappointed with Virgin Media. 

Hey @Riversider, thanks for reaching out to us again on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the email and poor communication that you have had.
May I ask when did you terminate the account? As within 90 days the email should go as well automatically.
Was this email associated with a MyVM account? Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

My VM account was closed back in 2021 and whilst I was told my email would be deleted after 90 days it remained active but without ability to change password. 

All this has been explained several times to various VM staff who whilst very helpful really don’t know how to resolve my problem. 

Hi @Riversider thanks for your reply.

I appreciate this is frustrating, but I can see that you are communicating with my colleague Rob via private message - kindly continue to communicate with them and they'll come back to you ASAP if you're waiting on a response over the weekend.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Still waiting for a resolution to this issue after 3 weeks.

VM are really not interested in helping or resolving an issue that they have created by failing to look after the interests of ex customers.

Lots of promises, passing the buck between teams and failing to deliver on promised actions.it’s always someone else’s responsibility.

in short, if you have an old VM email account and someone cracks your password don’t expect VM to help.

The requested email address was removed last week, apologies this wasn't passed on to you I have had a few days out of the office Riverside.

Rob

Thanks Rob for the confirmation and assistance. 

Hi Riversider, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

We're happy to hear you're pleased with the help provided by Rob. 

If you have any further issues, pop back to us in the Community to let us know so we can offer further support. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs