Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked Mail Server

smaler10
Joining in

Hello,

To begin.

I have an old NTL World Mail Account with Virgin (set up for me via my parents account when i was younger). 
Until recently, this has always been my main email account, for the past 20 years of my life. So it contains a fair amount of personal information (I'm almost 30 now). 

So, recently, my parents were unaware that I was still using this email account, so they opted to have it closed. This caused lots of panic, and a phone call to Virgin again, managed to get them to re-enable the account.

BUT, I was no longer able to access my emails via Virgins WebMail. And only via a Mail Client, which would connect to the Mail Server, imap.ntlworld.com and smtp.virginmedia.com via my email address and password.

Due to not having any access to Virgins mailbox anymore, meant I am no longer able to ever change my password, or any info relating to my email. But, neither can anyone else, even Virgin. 

Now recently, some of my passwords have been involved in a data breach, including my NTL World email and password. This has meant that they’ve been sold online, and ‘hackers’ are now accessing my email account, doing password resets on anything registered under my email address, and such, they’ve taken my social media accounts, online gaming accounts and more. 
I am in a constant fight to watch my emails and try and intervene once i’ve seen a password reset (if i notice the emails before they’re deleted). I’ve had new accounts created under my email address, and even some fraud used on a cash back app I am registered to using stolen card details. 

I’ve contacted Virgin numerous times, being told they’ve changed the password. Closed the account etc etc, but never once have they actually done this. And every time I get told the same thing. As i’ve still got full access to the incoming/outgoing emails via iPhone Mail. 
I need to get through to someone higher in the IT/Technical department and get access to this mail server shutdown! 

I’m very concerned about identity theft and fraud as theres new accounts being setup under my email address which I cannot control. I’ve had to register for a fraud report, to monitor my credit history incase of any new applications. The stress and time I have incurred due to this is substantial.

Please Help!

1 REPLY 1

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @smaler10,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing some issues with your NTLWorld email address! I can understand that this can cause quite a lot of frustration, but we're here to help.

You can take a look at our Fraud and Security page to read more about our security processes and how to raise this to our team. 

I will send you a Private Message to confirm a few details so I can look into this issue further for you and see what we can do to resolve this problem. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs