Menu
minniemouse
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

HELP email hacked

My email has been hacked. Has caused problems, they have been able to order goods on Amazon by changing my password

Contacted Virgin (it is a ntlworld address) informed me impossible unless I gave out my password.  

Have changed my log in password now. Is there anything lease I can do.?

Disgusted  with Virgin no help at all.

I am so concerned How this has happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: HELP email hacked

I couldn't say how it happened, but follow the advice here in full.  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Then consider gradually changing any online accounts you value to a service with better security such as 2FA.  Really - it will take a little effort, but you'll be happier if your finances and personal data is secure.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Go to have i been pwned? to see if your email address has appeared in any known data breach data, then evaluate the breach detail and likely impact, for example my Virgin Media email addresses appear in a recent breach of Verifications.io data― No, I  did not give them my data but clearly someone else did.

See how secure the previously used password was here Pwned Passwords.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@minniemouse wrote:

My email has been hacked. Has caused problems, they have been able to order goods on Amazon by changing my password.

Unfortunately, businesses such as Amazon make it easier for scammers by directing us to we use our email address as the username for our online Amazon account.

However I trust that you have now enabled 2 step verification on your Amazon account.

See here for an overview  https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201596330 and more details are here https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201962440

Presumably you did not have that in place when your Amazon account was hacked because it makes it much more difficult for scammers to hijack your Amazon account even if they have your email password.

You should make sure you enable that feature on your Amazon account asap.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

as a stopgap, you can remove all your payment card details from amazon

then even if the hackers can get it they cannot pay for anything

if you need to buy something, put in card info, do the purchase, then remove it

longer term, consider getting a new email [ not from virgin] and use it only for amazon, nowhere else.  That is what I do . and use it with a unique, long, password.

0 Kudos