Menu
palmyra08
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Genuine emails treated as spam, even after many times marked "not spam" & adding sender to address book

Some important emails keep ending up in spam folder of my webmail - even though the same sender address has been added to address book as a genuine contact, and every time the email was marked / moved as spam, I clicked the thumbs up confirming it is not spam.

Not sure how this spam filter is set up on the server (yes, this IS server side functionality so no tweaking in web client), but this is not only utterly silly, it is also hugely annoying. 

It seems others reported the very same symptoms, but so far have not seen any pertinent reply from VM on how to solve this, so apologies if haven't noticed potentially some thread on this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Genuine emails treated as spam, even after many times marked "not spam" & adding sender

Whilst waiting for a response from Virgin Media consider the following options:

• move to an email service that is independent of any ISP that provides a similar or better level of security than that of the online service it secures and offers custom spam filtering or filtering of folders other than the Inbox.

• In webmail or an email client view the source of the email wrongly being identified as spam and look for the text CMAE_SCORE. If this text is found then, if appropriate, submit a false positive report to Cloudmark; a service Virgin Media use to help identify spam.

Instruction for reporting the issue to Cloudmark are here:

The reporting form is located here:

• in webmail change SPAM Settings to Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox and then create two filter rule to:
    (1) stop processing further filter rules if the sender's email address matches that of the message wrongly being identified as spam
    (2) the subject contains the text <SPAM> then move it to the Spam folder

• Use an (IMAP) email client that allow filtering of folders other than the Inbox to move misidentified spam from the Spam folder to the Inbox folder
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Genuine emails treated as spam, even after many times marked "not spam" & adding sender

@用心棒 wrote:

Whilst waiting for a response from Virgin Media consider the following options:

I thought - WOW - what a great idea, and I reported my three most recent false positives to Cloudmark this morning.  I got a very kind reply that Virgin Media customers should not use this method, but continue to feedback (thumbs up) the false positives.  This will eventually amend the verdict.   Another solution is to contact the senders directly to audit their mailing lists.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko wrote:

@用心棒 wrote:

Whilst waiting for a response from Virgin Media consider the following options

I thought - WOW - what a great idea, and I reported my three most recent false positives to Cloudmark this morning.  I got a very kind reply that Virgin Media customers should not use this method, but continue to feedback (thumbs up) the false positives.  This will eventually amend the verdict.   Another solution is to contact the senders directly to audit their mailing lists.

Thank you for the update on Cloudmark no longer processing false positives directly from end users; FYI, previous contact with Cloudmark was more positive, Re: The mail server responded: 5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603).

AFAICS where an email is misidentified as spam / ham the user correction has no noticeable impact as it seems to be an accumulative process.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko,  I have flagged my posts that mentioned the resolution path through Cloudmark to the forum moderators as it is now clear this is not a path open to end users. Thanks again for highlighting this to me.

0 Kudos