cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forwarding emails

philiphales
On our wavelength

Why is it that I forward an email. The say a couple of days later I reply to the email, but instead of it going to the original sender, it goes to the person I forwarded it to.  It is so annoying as it could be ages after, when I am wondering why I don’t get a response, but the person I forwarded it to makes a comment about my reply and I might have said something I never intended them to see!

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is difficult to answer without knowing whether this is when using the VM webmail interface or a third party email client/app.

However, the simplest way to ensure that the email goes to the intended recipient is to check the 'To' field carefully before pressing send.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi

When using Virgin Media (obs!).

And really should I have to check that when I hit ‘reply’, that the default position should be that I am replying to the sender!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have conversation view selected in VM webmail?  If so the forwarded email will appear above the original email and therefore may explain the issue if you accidentally reply to the forwarded version.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@philiphales wrote:

Hi

When using Virgin Media (obs!).

And really should I have to check that when I hit ‘reply’, that the default position should be that I am replying to the sender!

Not necessarily true.

The default position for replies is as follows:

1.  Use address in Reply To: field - if present.
2.  Use address in From: field

It should also be noted that if you hit Reply all and the email address contains multiple recipients, then the reply goes to all the people listed in the To: and Cc: fields as well.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I use my iPhone and can’t see that I am in conversational view or whether the view can be changed.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When looking at the inbox in the VM webmail mobile version click on edit at the top right of the page then click on the sort by drop down menu.  Conversation view is the bottom option.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On iOS turn off Settings > Mail > Organise by Thread

BTW the reply / forward behaviour when emails are grouped by conversation / thread is correct, i.e. respond to the most recent in that thread; to reply to a specific email in the thread select it first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi

I think that might have done it.  What a stupid option!!!!