Menu
ianfra5er
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Filters not working

I'm getting fed up of email filters not working they way I think they should so have to assume I'm doing something wrong! 

One of the many spam mails I receive are to do with bitcoin, hundreds of the buggars enter my mail box from multiple sources that are hard to blacklist as they follow this format - sjxmzagb@olvna.suctiouldit.com - where the letters at the beginning change. To that end I've tried filters that look for the from field containing the .com part of the address with the instruction to discard but still they arrive. Also as many of the subjects are the same style I tried selecting a part of that to filter on rather than having to specify addresses.

e.g. many of the subjects contain the text 40k. To that end I set up a filter as follows :-

Rule Name 40k

Apply Rule if all conditions are met

Conditions: Subject Contains 40k

Actions: Discard

PROBLEM Email containing 40k in the subject still arrives in my inbox, why?

Thanks, Ian

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Filters not working

Have a look at the filter, post #10, from boothy99 in this thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-emails/m-p/4165620#M187357 

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
ianfra5er
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

I'll give that a try but why are the filters I've already set up not working? My 'problem' with the article is it looks like I have to add every from precisely that I want filtered? If that's true I can just continue to blacklist which is effectively the same thing no but without going through the create filter process?

The reason I try to create a filter on a partial address is lots of spam comes from the same .com address but the name before the @ is always a random creation of of different letter so I have to blacklist every single one rather than just the .com part which should filter out everything. I'd like to know either what's wrong with the filter I created - I can't see what I've done wrong? -  or is there something wrong Virgin's end?

Thanks again, Ian

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The filters you have already setup are likely failing to match the condition, for instance Contains 40k will not match 40𝗄; use your web browser's find function to confirm by searching for 40k; match fails because the latter use a Mathematical small 𝗄 instead of a Latin small letter k. if you want to learn more a good starting point would be Wikipedia's Unicode article.

The filter rule matches the sender domain whereas the backlist entry matches the exact email address; the former can handle those random changes to the user name whereas the latter cannot.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
ianfra5er
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again,

I'm still confused though i.e. you say "The filter rule matches the sender domain whereas the backlist entry matches the exact email address; the former can handle those random changes to the user name whereas the latter cannot" but where I have filters set up to do this they don't always get rid of the sender domain I've asked it to do. Today for example after I'd earlier set up a filter to get rid of anything that matched the domain suctiouldit.com I still received a host of spam in my inbox from senders that matched that address, why is that?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Add a Set colour flag action to the rule as a visual cue to the rule having matched against the message. For the emails you believe should have matched the filter rule but did not:

• post an appropriately redacted screenshot of the filter rule
  • check that another filter rule with Process subsequent rules turned off is not matching the email
  • view the email's source text and search for the pattern, for example search for suctiouldit.com. Is it found?
ianfra5er
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

FilterFilter

This is an example of a filter which doesn't always work i.e. a day after setting this up several emails from this domain arrived in my inbox, I don't understand why? I have no other filters referencing this so assume the process subsequent rules advice plays no part and when creating the filter I'm looking in the source for the text I create the filter with so yes it's found.

Hope that helps 🙂

Thanks again, Ian

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Can you check the filter rule and make sure there are no space characters around suctiouldit.com as these would cause the Contains condition to not match “suctiouldit.com”

0 Kudos
ianfra5er
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No spaces

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Then without seeing the email's source text of one of these messages I am stumped for the moment as to why they are not being matched by your filter rule.

0 Kudos