Menu
SueC66
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

External email is only aggregated when you are logged into Webmail.

Hi

I have set up an email account for my daughter (years ago) but she has only ever been able to receive emails on her phone, in Outlook etc.  I finally got round to looking in to this for her and see this message in the settings:

Any idea how to switch it off so she can get set up on her new laptop?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: External email is only aggregated when you are logged into Webmail.

That message only applies when you have added another email account to your main webmail account.

If your daughter signs in to the VM webmail page directly with her email address and password on her laptop she should be able to see her emails.  Also she could set up an email client on her laptop and access her emails that way.

That said your daughter would be well advised to set up a new email address of her own via a supplier not linked to a broadband account, eg Outlook or Gmail.

In the current setup she is reliant on you keeping a virgin media broadband account, as well as you being able to access all her emails and change her password as the primary account holder.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@SueC66 wrote:

Hi

I have set up an email account for my daughter (years ago) but she has only ever been able to receive emails on her phone, in Outlook etc.  I finally got round to looking in to this for her and see this message in the settings:

Any idea how to switch it off so she can get set up on her new laptop?

Let's start by explaining the message clearly.

Here's my current Email accounts page I see when I log into webmail and go to settings.

Accounts page.PNG

The account highlighted is the main email account.  This is the email address you log in as

Every other account listed is classed as External email.

Virgin's Webmail essentially allows you to view all your email accounts across different email providers in one place.  When you log in it pulls in and aggregates the mail from the external accounts, and if you've set them up to use the Unified Inbox - can actually show all email accounts together at the top of the email list along with a box showing which account the mail belongs to.

Unified Inbox.PNG

This has nothing to do with being able to set up email clients on other devices.  If you have the correct settings, you can add the account to any email client you wish.

What email program is she trying to set up?

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

SueC66
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have set up a few other email addresses as "sub" addresses to the main account and have been able to set them all up in Outlook on my laptop and receive / send emails.  For hers though we have been trying to set it up in Outlook and it won't do it.  She has managed to get it on her phone but it won't let her send an email even though she can receive.  I can't see I have set it up any different to the other email addresses?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Outlook runs through checks when you set up the email account.  However the new style dialog doesn't show these checks.  A perfect example of how attempting to simplify the interface too much means you lose valuable information.

Fortunately we can get to the old style dialog.

In the search bar type Control Panel and click the top option.  This will open the following window.

Control Panel.PNG

In the top right there is a search box - type in mail and the view will change to that shown below

Control panel 2.PNG

Select the Mail (Microsoft Outlook) icon and you'll get a new window:

Mail Setup 1.PNG

Select Email Accounts and you'll see the accounts window.  It looks exactly the same as the one you see when actually in Outlook but it does use the old dialogs to add/modify email accounts.

accountsettings.PNG

Now provided everything is ok Outlook's auto configuration will normally set up the account with no issues.  But if it fails the next pages will at the very least have the correct server names in place - (I've tried this with blueyonder, virginmedia and ntlworld domains) Leaving you to make sure that the password is correct.

So select Add accounts and enter the details

addaccount1.PNG

Note to eagle eyed viewers, yes the password's too short.  When I used the correct password the auto setup added the account for me.  So for demonstration purposes I've used the word wrong to simply fail the setup.

When you click Next you'll see the following screen wait for it to complete

addaccount2.PNGaddaccount3.PNG

If everything went smoothly we'd get three ticks above and could finish setting up but as somethings gone wrong we click next to try and manually set up the account.

addaccount4.PNG

Select POP3 or IMAP as the account type as shown above and click next.

addaccount5.PNG

If everything appears correct (I've amended the password here) - Click More Settings

General settings can be left as it is. Click Outgoing server and make sure it's set up as below

more1.PNG

Then click advanced and set it up as below.  Start by changing to SSL/TLS first.  Incoming port will automatically change to correct number but you'll have to manually change the outgoing port.

More2.PNG

When all is done click Ok to go back to the add account screen and then click next.

You should see the following test scrren

Test.PNG

If all goes well we will get the above and we can close and then select finish.  If not, we will at least see exactly what part of the setup failed.

I know what I'm expecting to see but I'd rather wait until you try it yourself.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

SueC66
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - I will go through that process and see what we get 🙂

Sue

0 Kudos