cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting all ail and contacts

PoorShow
On our wavelength

Simple question.

How do I export all my email and contacts to another non VM, mail account?

I know that I can set up a forwarder to bounce new mail on.
But I want to export all legacy mail also.

Something I am sure you clever young things will say I should have done years ago.  :¬)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Install Thunderbird, and set up an IMAP account. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Install Thunderbird, and set up an IMAP account. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PoorShow 

I would agree with @jpeg1 regarding using Thunderbird. That is what I have used for a while now  and I would recommend it. It is open source, free software and you can download it from here https://www.thunderbird.net 

Just for completeness, IMAP will download all your emails to Thunderbird but transferring your VM contacts will be a two step process:

1) Export/download your contacts from your VM email account to a file on your device. Do that by signing into your webmail account then

• select "Address Book" (located towards top left) and then the Address Book to export (for example "Contacts" or "Collected addresses")
  • select (located next to Address Book name)
  • Then click "Export"
  • On the next screen click "Export"

That will allow you to save the contacts as a .CSV file on your device.

2) Then you will need to import that information from the CSV file into Thunderbird. To do that open Thunderbird and:

• Select (top right of the screen)
  • Select 'Tools'
  • Select 'Address Books'
  • Select 'Tools' (at the top of the screen) and then 'Import'
  • Select 'Address Books' and click on 'Next'
  • Select 'Text file (LDIF, .tab, .csv, .txt) and click on 'Next'
  • Locate the folder where you stored the .csv file from VM  and  click on "Open" to import that information into Thunderbird's address book

By the way, if you decide against using Thunderbird and decide to use the interface provided by your non VM email provider you may well be able to import your VM contacts to your new email account.

Follow the steps in 1) above, to create the export file from VM and check with the new provider as to how to import that file into your new email account.

Just to say that sadly, I'm not clever and I'm most definitely not a "young thing" but I hope this information still helps. 🙂

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

PoorShow
On our wavelength
I forgot this forum only allows you to tick one "helpful".
But Muchos Kudos to you and many thanks for the more concise explanation, and step by step guide.
And link.
Have now downloaded Thunderbird....and now away to break my account.
Again :¬))
Cheers for................