cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error - Virgin Media server not found

richandlinda
Tuning in

I cannot send or receive emails on Windows Mail and I am getting message "The host 'pop3.virginmedia.com' could not be found.  Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly."  Also have error messages "Socket Error 11001" and "Windows Live Mail Error ID 0x800CCCC0D".  I have tried re-entering my password  - no joy - and there is no option provided to reset it.  What does "entered the server name mean"?  Enter it where?  I am stuck in a loop with this message which I cannot get out of.  Is it just me or is there a more widespread problem with the Virgin Server?  This has been going on for 24 hours or so.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

richandlinda
Tuning in

For the last 24 hours, I have been unable to receive or send emails. I get a box pop up box with message "Unable to send or receive messages for the Virginmedia (richandlinda) account.  The host 'pop.3.virginmedia.com' cannot be found.  Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly".  Not sure what this last comment means.  I have two error messages.  "Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D" and " Socket error: 11001".  I have been asked to log in with my password but this does not help.  I considered changing my password but can find no way of doing this on this screen.

Is this an isolated incident with me or is it a wider problem with Virgin Server?  Anyone have any solution please.

Thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@richandlinda 

Firstly, I must explain that I moved your post to its own thread because the issue you are seeing is nothing to do with the issue being dealt with in the thread you originally used.

In the original thread the poster is getting a message that their email account has been locked from sending emails but they have no problems receiving them.

Your error message says "The host 'pop3.virginmedia.com' could not be found" and  also reports"Windows Live Mail Error ID 0x800CCCC0D".  Taken together those errors mean:

• you are having a problem receiving emails rather than sending them. The pop3 VM server deals with incoming emails not sent emails   However to be fair the 0x800CCC0D error suggests you might also have a problem sending emails.
  • you are using Microsoft Live Mail to manage your VM emails
  • that for some reason MS Live Mail is unable to even locate the Virgin Media email server so it has not reached the point of trying to access your emails to discover whether your account is locked.

To answer your questions

"is it just me or is there a more widespread problem with the Virgin Server?"

The pop3.virginmedia server is working fine for me so I don't think there is a problem with the server however it is possible there was the problem at the time you received that error which has now resolved itself.

A more likely explanation is that there may be a problem with your copy of Live Mail. Microsoft announced they were stopping support for  Live Mail in 2016 and replaced it with their "Windows Mail" product. As I recall, the main reason for that was users had been reporting problems with Live Mail from 2013 and so MS decided it was time to ditch it for something more up to date.

I am sure that you will say that it has been working fine up to now but at the very least, having had no updates for the best part of 5 years it does present  a big security risk to your personal information and an increased risk of malware and  viruses getting on to your PC. Also, if issues with the MS software have developed since 2016 they will not have done addressed.

"What does "entered the server name mean"? Enter it where

That is referring to the server name (pop3virginmedia.com") which you first set up your VM email account on Live Mail.  In this case that name is correct  but there is other information in those settings other than the server name itself so it may still be worth checking those settings in Live Mail

I have never used Live Mail but a quick online search gave me this:

Editing Your Account Settings In Windows Live Mail
  1. With Windows Live Mail open, click on the 'Accounts' Tab.
  2. Click the email account you wish to edit in the list on the left hand side of your screen. ...
  3. The previous step should have opened the properties box with all the settings for your email account

For more detail instructions click here https://support.siteapex.com/email 

The settings for Virgin Media email accounts should be:

Incoming server      pop3.virginmedia.com
Port 995          SSL/TLS
Username is your FULL VM email address

Outgoing server     smtp.virginmedia.com
Port465            SSL/TLS

Authentication - Enabled
Username and password is the same as incoming.

Personally, I don't think the issue is with your Live Mail Settings, that's just Live Mail trying to be helpful. It could however be an issue with your antivirus software or your firewall software that is blocking access to the VM sever for some reason. You could try turning those off briefly to see if that allows LiveMail to access the server.

You also mention resetting the password.  Again, I don't see anything to suggest that is the problem but there is an easy way to reset the password. Enter the email address and then follow the instructions in this link https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password You will need to enter the security information that was set up as part of your VM broadband account.

Another thing to try is check whether there is an issue with your VM email account itself by signing in to the email account directly on the VM Website.

Enter your email address and password here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  and see if that comes up with an error. Accessing the email account via the website does not involve the pop3.virginmedia,com server so you should be able to access the account from there. However it will only show incoming messages because the pop3 protocol you are using does not load outgoing emails in the webmail account. They are just stored in you Live Mail software.

One other possible cause  for that error could be that your broadband connection is unstable for some reason. Are you seeing any signs of that? Are you able to access websites ok or do you get slow response times when opening web pages in your browser?

To sum up, my own advice would be to stop using Live Mail and switch to using the MS Mail App if your version of Windows supports it. Alternatively  and probably a better choice, download and instal the free open source email client Thunderbird from here https://www.thunderbird.net  That is what I have started using and have had no problems with it. My understanding is that it supports Windows 7 and later versions of Windows. It's also super easy to set up.  You just enter your email address and password and it creates all the right email settings automatically.

Sorry to go on at such length,but I have to say that  there is no easy answer to resolve the problem you are seeing. It could be down to so many things,

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @richandlinda,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some email issues recently. I can see that @coenoby has offered some advice and steps that may help. Let us know if they're of any use, and if you need any further help and support from there let us know.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thanks to  @coenoby for the response.

In the end, I was not confident in my own ability and sought the services of a third party to help me out i.e. an expert from a company called PC Doctor who I have used before.  To cut a very long story short, in effect we did what you suggested which was to not use Windows Mail and set up in a different email client. 

This followed a very lengthy conversation (1 hour plus) with Virgin who denied that there was a problem whilst all the time we were getting a message from Virgin that "Whoops, there seems to be a problem at our end".  No amount of help from Virgin allowed us to log into Windows Live even after resetting my password.  My technician even tried to log into his personal Virgin account and was given the same message which suggest that something was not right.

The outcome is that I can now send and receive emails but I have lost all my contacts, groups and file history which I will now have to laboriously build again.

Better than nothing but at a cost for employing an expert.  But I won't hold my breath trying to recover the cost from Virgin!!

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Anankha
Problem sorter

The Windows mail app is strange in how it uses port numbers. Ensure these are added to the end of the server name.
pop3.virginmedia.com:993:1
SSL yes
SMTP.virginmedia.com:465:1
SSL yes

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia