Menu
Jarris
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Emails will receive but not send in Outlook

Since joining Virgin last year, I have been unable to get our new email addresses to send? They happily receive and work when logged into virgin media.

I have checked the email settings and the fault log.(Please see below) However the only error given when trying to test the email settings is; connection to the server was interrupted?

Emails just sit in the outbox I need to be able to fully use these addresses in Outlook and would be grateful for some help.

2021.01.23 14:16:58 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Port: 465, Secure: TLS, SPA: yes
2021.01.23 14:16:58 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Finding host
2021.01.23 14:16:58 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Connected to host
2021.01.23 14:17:10 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Disconnected from host

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Emails will receive but not send in Outlook

@Jarris wrote:

Since joining Virgin last year, I have been unable to get our new email addresses to send? They happily receive and work when logged into virgin media.

I have checked the email settings and the fault log.(Please see below) However the only error given when trying to test the email settings is; connection to the server was interrupted?

Emails just sit in the outbox I need to be able to fully use these addresses in Outlook and would be grateful for some help.

2021.01.23 14:16:58 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Port: 465, Secure: TLS, SPA: yes
2021.01.23 14:16:58 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Finding host
2021.01.23 14:16:58 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Connected to host
2021.01.23 14:17:10 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Disconnected from host

smtp.virginmedia.com does not use SPA so you should deselect that option within your Outlook settings.  Also change the Secure type to SSL rather than TLS, 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jarris
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails will receive but not send in Outlook

Thank you Graham,

I have been trying to find the solution without success for ages. So it would seem that the settings required in the Outlook outgoing server was selected as TLS as this was the only one that automatically selected the SMTP of 465. As on selecting SSL it changed to 25.

So selecting the SSL first then changing the SMTP from 25 back to 465 and hay presto:)

I had assumed it would be in the setting but couldn't find what exactly so thanks again.

0 Kudos