cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails stuck in outbox

TheBoyGreen
On our wavelength

Hi

Is there a simple fix to my sent emails being stuck in my outbox? This is happening on my Samsung phone and tablet.

I tried removing and adding in the email account and using a different app, both to no avail.

The issue occurs when using both WiFi and 4g, but there are no problems in receiving emails.

I'm a simple person so I hope whoever can help won't blind with technical jargon and that there is a simple fix.

80 REPLIES 80

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the issue is occurring on all devices then try the following troubleshooting steps:

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I think the guy was looking for a non techy straightforward fix. This isn't it, although I know you're trying to be helpful.
VM mail has been awful for years especially for Iphone/Ipad users - sometimes works, sometimes not and there is never a proper fix by either Apple or Virgin for sending mail.
The only answer is to get a Gmail or 'proper' mail address.

Thanks and yeah something non techy. 

I cant bin off blueyonder, too much long term investment unfortunately.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mnsolihull  The op isn't using an apple device according to their post.

Unfortunately there is rarely a simple solution to such issues.  The advice already provided should help in identifying the problem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks I'll see what happens.

I appreciate he's not using an Apple device, just saying the 'can receive but can't send' just goes on and and on

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mnsolihull 

The problem is that if you just lump all the "can receive but not send" into the same category, you miss things.

To be able to send an email a client has to do a number of things:

1.  Connect to the server.
2. Exchange HELO or EHLO greetings.
3. Authenticate with the server
4. Send the sender email address (most clients will usually derive this from the From: address).
5. Send the recipient address(es).
6 Send a DATA command to indicate it's ready to send the email
7. Send the actual email data.

At ANY of the stages an email send can fail, and at step 3 a perfectly valid username and password, can fail if certain conditions fail (at last count there were around 11 reasons).

The majority of can receive, can't send issues recently have involved a VM305 error, which indicates that there's an unwanted program on their network sending spam.

HOWEVER we can't rule out another cause.   For example SPAM content found errors in the OP's emails themselves.

The method outlined by @用心棒 is probably the least techy way of gathering the information we need if we're going to help the OP.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi,

I am having the same issue - I followed the instructions and I am not listed - any other suggestions?

Thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Theneils 

Please start your own thread.  It helps avoid confusion.

Tim