cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails removed from my inbox

Frankie107
On our wavelength

While I was in my Inbox on 14th March all of the messages for the last 12 months or so which had been there disappeared. When I phoned virgin I was told that at that time maintenance had started on the broadband in my area.

I discovered that those for the last month appeared in Bin my but no others did - which is presumably because Virgin deletes any mails from the Bin when they become more than about 1 month old. When I phoned Virgin the agent was totally unable to help, he seemed not to understand the problem at all, saying things like "have you checked your deleted folder, that's the one called "Bin"! And did not even seem to know Virgin removed 1 month old emails from the Bin.

He eventually after 1 hour agreed to get a manager to phone me back but that has not happened.

Can anyone explain what has happened and how I can recover the emails? 

He eventually after almost an hour agreed to get a manager to phone me but it did not happen

22 REPLIES 22

Hi again

I've had the phone about a year and the shop set it up to receive my emails from 3 different accounts (they all had emails disappear from their inboxes).

Sorry I haven't seen VIP's suggestion about an update?

But I did have an apple operating system update recently - just a few days or maybe a week ago?

Is he suggesting that the update has caused this issue?

Yes he suggested that in the 5th message in this thread. Thanks for your feedback also I'll check Inbox capacity limits.

@Frankie1071 @Frankie107 @jacquig1 

The emails on your phone/tablet can be regarded as a 'copy' of the definitive set of emails on the VM servers (slightly complicated by the different way s of accessing email), so the first thing you need to do is see what VM themselves think what emails you have. To do this you need to check using the 'webmail' client , go to https://mail2.virginmedia.com login with your usual email address and password, and see what emails are there.

If it is not there, then VM don't have  copy of it and you need to assume that it is lost permanently.

Just out of idle curiosity, while logged in to the webmail portal, have a look to see if any 'rules' or forwarders have been setup.

@jacquig1 you mention three different account, all of which have lost emails - are they all VM branded accounts or different suppliers?

John

Hi 

My 3 accounts are with different suppliers - one with VM, & 2 x Outlook ones.

Jackie

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jacquig1  Thanks.  Useful information to confirm that this was not caused by a Virgin Media Mail issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi all. 

Thank you for posting to bring this to our attention - and thanks to the community for identifying the issue and offering support. 

Really pleased to hear the missing emails have now been found and recovered. As outlined above, this was indeed not a VM email issue, but rather that with the software and settings on your devices. 

Please do let us know if there is anything outstanding here you need support with, otherwise I am glad to see this as resolved. 

All the best. 

Molly

Thank you @Molly_T but in response to your last sentence it was my post that initiated this conversation and I am no nearer finding a solution - the solution @Jacquig1 found does not apply to me.

I have definitely made no changes to my settings either before or after my emails disappeared but for the 2 weeks prior to the event there were repeated messages from Virgin saying there was a problem in my area followed by assurances that the problem had been fixed, the most recent was yesterday. I may be no expert but please do not be misled into thinking user error is likely by my category of "Tuning In", it is that because after over 30 years of being heavily involved IT and many successful troubleshooting exercises for myself and others this is my first foray into the Virgin Community as a last resort.

I cannot even find any settings which limit the number of emails in my Inbox (BTW unlike @jacquig1 I use an Android) and I cannot imagine what settings I could have changed that would have removed only one year's worth of emails and put only the last month's into bin. I do have a huge number (about 34000) but don't see how removing about1500 would cross any boundary limit.

When Virgin can set up software to access my Bin to remove emails older than about 1 month it is possible that their system problems may have involved an accidental temporary effect of removing some of my emails especially since the emails have disappeared from webmail. Although I am very familiar with the settings menu in webmail and in Outlook, my email client, I normally do not go near that, using Outlook as a client server, and I repeat I was nowhere near any settings menu around the time my problem occurred.

Do you,  @Molly_T, have any suggestions on settings to look at or any other ideas? It is impossible to communicate with anyone from Virgin who can provide more technical  information than they get from reading off a pre-prepared knowledge base crib sheet.

Thanks for coming back to us @Frankie1071.

Please can you confirm that the emails aren't showing on your webmail account

Have the missing mails gone from your inbox only or have they been removed from certain folders?

Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks Stepen

I rarely look at the webmail but am familiar with it and have checked it. The same emails went missing in both my Outlook client Inbox (only from there) and webmail. Also I checked all of the settings in webmail but none has changed.

I should add that over the last 9 months or so I have occasionally found that one email or perhaps a few had gone direct to my Bin (note it was NOT to my Spam folder) but I didn't look into that because I knew nothing had been lost since I discovered it quickly. This is a different matter since some with important information are not to be found.

Thanks for your attention.

Hi there @Frankie107

Thank you so much for your updates and I am so sorry that we have yet to have a resolution for this. 

I'd like to take a closer look for you so I am going to send you a PM now so we can investigate. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Thank you.