cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails removed from my inbox

Frankie107
On our wavelength

While I was in my Inbox on 14th March all of the messages for the last 12 months or so which had been there disappeared. When I phoned virgin I was told that at that time maintenance had started on the broadband in my area.

I discovered that those for the last month appeared in Bin my but no others did - which is presumably because Virgin deletes any mails from the Bin when they become more than about 1 month old. When I phoned Virgin the agent was totally unable to help, he seemed not to understand the problem at all, saying things like "have you checked your deleted folder, that's the one called "Bin"! And did not even seem to know Virgin removed 1 month old emails from the Bin.

He eventually after 1 hour agreed to get a manager to phone me back but that has not happened.

Can anyone explain what has happened and how I can recover the emails? 

He eventually after almost an hour agreed to get a manager to phone me but it did not happen

22 REPLIES 22

jacquig1
Tuning in

Hi

The same thing has just happened to me!

A year's worth of emails have suddenly been removed from my inbox.

I saw them disappearing in front of my eyes!

It's exactly a year's worth.

Have you been able to speak with anyone to find out what has happened yet?

Thanks.

Jackie

Hi Jackie, no I've had no call back from any "Manager" and spent another fruitless 40 minutes on the phone to the Help desk this morning. It seems impossible to get to speak to anyone who has more technical knowledge that just reading from a prepared list of suggestions. I'm flagging this for a moderator in the hope that someone actually picks this up - otherwise I'll not be renewing my package when it expires in 6 weeks or so.

My mistake - it seems moderators are only for "inappropriate content", I thought they were experts who picked up tricky questions. I should have known better!

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately the cause is unlikely to be easily identified because it could be due to circumstance under Virgin Media control, your control, or a combination of both. Given the issue does not appear to be system wide consider reviewing the recent updates that have occurred on devices used to access Virgin Media Email specifically via an IMAP client.

Concerning the recovery of emails, regrettably if they cannot be located in the Trash folder or elsewhere in the mailbox then they are considered unrecoverable.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Frankie107 wrote:

I discovered that those for the last month appeared in Bin my but no others did - which is presumably because Virgin deletes any mails from the Bin when they become more than about 1 month old. ⋮

Emails older than 7 days are automatically deleted from the Trash folder however this would not explain what you saw, i.e. if a years worth of emails were deleted that day they would all remain in the Trash folder for the next 7 days before being automatically deleted.

Hi and thanks for your response.

When I woke up this morning another year’s worth of emails have disappeared back to 31/12/2019. So I’ve lost everything from 2020, 2021 & 2022 now.

I called Virgin this morning and got a ticket no. for my query and a promise that someone will call me back within 48 hours. I’m not hopeful after hearing about your experience though…

The phone shop where I bought my iPhone has offered to check my settings and search for the missing emails in case they’ve been archived etc. 

I’ll let you know if I have any luck.

Info I’ve read on these community pages isn’t very hopeful though. I think I’ll be setting up a gmail account and find out how to back up emails too.

Hi Frankie

I've just been to the shop where I bought my iphone8 and they fixed the problem for me!

I don't know exactly what he did but I think it involved setting the limits on the Inboxes of my email accounts to 'Unlimited' and then a whole load of emails flooded back into my Inbox and also we found around 5k emails had been moved to a Drafts folder which he managed to transfer back to my Inbox.

It looks like I have everything back again which is amazing.

They charged me £15 for the time it took which was quite a while and he really did check and try a few things so it was a very fair price.

The name of the shop is The Phone Shop and they're in Bristol - here's their webpages and phone no. if you wanted to contact them.

facebook.com/TPSBristol/

letstalktps.com/

24A Gloucester Road
Bristol
BS7 8AE
0117 9424400

Good luck!
Jackie

Emails older than 7 days are automatically deleted from the Trash folder however this would not explain what you saw, i.e. if a years worth o.....

Thanks VIP that makes sense.

Thanks Jackie I assume you'd bought the phone recently and had emails transferred over to it? Or have you had the phone several yeaars and this suddenly just happened? If the latter VIP's suggestion about an update seems likely.