cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails not sending through Outlook and being prompted for a password

paradise123
Joining in

I have been using the outlook 2019 app to view and manage my manage my Blueyonder emails. Suddenly I cant send emails anymore and the app doesn't seem to recognize my Blueyonder password.

5 REPLIES 5

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

Edit: ignore above advice and follow that from the forum team in following post.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi paradise123

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community. 

Sorry to hear of any email issues. Can you do malware scans on all devices and then change the password to something new, unique and never used before.

Leave it one hour before accessing it via webmail.

Regarding the third party email client, use this - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account - should help sort that out for you 🙂

Keep me posted

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi,

I am still having this issue, Outlook is still not accepting my Blueyonder password. I have changed the password and repaired outlook etc. Nothing seems to have worked.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you able to sign into webmail? Yes, then it would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead post just the VM error code shown; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here (unredacted or incorrectly redacted) may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey paradise123, thanks for posting and for providing with your updates.

Sorry to see the problem is ongoing, could you please explain what error you get when trying to update your password on Outlook?

Have you managed to successfully change the password to a new, unique and secure one but this is not accepted on the client software?

Also, have a look here for the mail settings and make sure you've got the correct set up for this service.

Let us know how you get on and if you need more help, we're here to best support you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs