cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails not being sent

ajn0987
Joining in

My wife and I use ntlworld email accounts (linked to a current virginmedia account). Until 2 weeks ago all seemed fine until I noticed that emails I had sent from my laptop at home in the previous week - using outlook - were simply dumped in the outbox without me knowing. Since then we have noticed that it is the same for all devices (iphone, android phone etc - so not an outlook issue or the settings on my laptop) if using the home wifi. I can only send messages from home by using the email via the virgin media site - this is the way I verified my email to get onto the forum I could not do so otherwise.

I have rebooted the router - no effect - and tried to contact technical support which was no help at all - I will not rant about that.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If this issue is only occurring when connected to your home network then it would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If this issue is only occurring when connected to your home network then it would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi @ajn0987

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Have you tried the above suggestion? Please keep us updated.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have used the command you sent and I have received the following:

* Connected to smtp.virginmedia.com (212.54.56.51) port 465 (#0)
* schannel: disabled automatic use of client certificate
< 421 csmtp8.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp Virgin Media has blocked your connecting IP .....Too many bad emails have been sent. Visit https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport Section: Email Sending Errors to request delisting
* Got unexpected smtp-server response: 421
* Closing connection 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465
curl: (8) Got unexpected smtp-server response: 421

I have submitted a net report as the result suggests. I would have been nice to have been informed by virgin media that this had happened. See what happens?