cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails not arriving from a specific domain

jongar
Joining in

Hi,

We have just discovered that emails from domain @DiamondResorts.com are no longer reaching us. They have always been delivered in the past (last one on 30/12/2021). The Diamond Resorts rep we talked to this afternoon tried resending the email to my address and to my wife's address, and said they were showing as delivered at her end, but nothing arrived at our end. She then sent an email from her individual account which arrived successfully at 12:54.  

I'd really like this fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jongar wrote:

I do use filters on my pc (Thunderbird email client), but the fact of the matter is that emails from Diamond Resorts just don't arrive at Virgin.

Actually, if you have Thunderbird set up to use the IMAP protocol to pick up your emails it's not necessarily a fact that they don't arrive at Virgin .

The scenario could be:

• An email from Diamond Resorts arrives in your VM email account
  • Thunderbird checks your VM email account and downloads the email to Thunderbird
  • A filter in Thunderbird immediately decides the email should be deleted and deletes it from Thunderbird
  • The IMAP function is designed to keep your emails and folders in Thunderbird and your VM webmail account in sync. So.....the IMAP process in Thunderbird deletes the email in your Webmail account. 

If you mainly use Thunderbird to manage your emails that would give the impression that the email never arrived at all.

I am not saying that is what is happening but a recent poster with a similar issue to yours eventually tracked the problem down to his email client, in his case Microsoft Outlook.  He discovered that when he did not open Outlook for a few days and realised that his VM Webmail account mysteriously started receiving emails from the problem sender.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jongar wrote:

Hi,

We have just discovered that emails from domain @DiamondResorts.com ....................................they were showing as delivered at her end nothing arrived at our end.

You don't actually say so, but I am going to take it as read that you have already checked in your spam folder. 😉

The next thing to do is to sign into your Virgin Media webmail account from here   https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ and the follow the steps  below to check whether any filter rules, or blacklisting are the reason why those emails are not appearing in your inbox:

filter rules steps 2.png

If there are any filter rules set up I would suggest you Disable them and see if that allows new emails from that domain to come through. The reason I say that is that filter rules, especially those created to catch spam,  can sometimes catch other genuine emails too.

If there is a blacklist setup that will show in the list of filters but you need to click on Blacklist in the menu to check out the details of that.

If you use an email client such as Outlook an email app on your phone you need to check there as well. Those apps often also have the facility to set up filters and blacklists.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello jongar

Sorry to hear of the email issues, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums.

Have you been able to check your spam or junk folders for these emails? What happens when you try to email them? Are they sent okay? Are you having issues receiving emails from any other people or domains?

Rob

Hi coenoby,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the first thing I always do is check the spam and junk folders on the Virgin webmail site. I have checked Filters in Settings, but I have nothing set up, and there are only 2 items in Blacklist, neither of which could by any stretch of the imagination have affected emails from Diamond Resorts.

I have had these settings for ever.

I do use filters on my pc (Thunderbird email client), but the fact of the matter is that emails from Diamond Resorts just don't arrive at Virgin.

Jongar

Hi Robert_P,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I always check the spam and junk folders when expected emails go missing.

I receive other emails without problem, and indeed I received an email from a Diamond Resorts employee using her company email account. What aren't coming through are the automatically generated emails (eg mass mailings, reservation confirmations).

This particular employee was able to confirm that their system had sent the email, the non-arrival of which triggered my post on the forum.

I have not tried emailing them (yet).

Jongar

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jongar wrote:

Actually, if you have Thunderbird set up to use the IMAP protocol to pick up your emails it's not necessarily a fact that they don't arrive at Virgin .

The scenario could be:

• An email from Diamond Resorts arrives in your VM email account
  • Thunderbird checks your VM email account and downloads the email to Thunderbird
  • A filter in Thunderbird immediately decides the email should be deleted and deletes it from Thunderbird
  • The IMAP function is designed to keep your emails and folders in Thunderbird and your VM webmail account in sync. So.....the IMAP process in Thunderbird deletes the email in your Webmail account. 

If you mainly use Thunderbird to manage your emails that would give the impression that the email never arrived at all.

I am not saying that is what is happening but a recent poster with a similar issue to yours eventually tracked the problem down to his email client, in his case Microsoft Outlook.  He discovered that when he did not open Outlook for a few days and realised that his VM Webmail account mysteriously started receiving emails from the problem sender.

Coenoby

Hi coenoby,

Thanks again for your reply. Although I use filters in Thunderbird, they are merely for shunting emails from certain sources into folders. I never set up automatic deletes, it just doesn't sit well with me.

I think the issue has resolved itself: I logged onto the Diamond Resorts website last night, picked up my reservation, triggered a confirmation email and this time it arrived.

Thanks for your time and help.

Jongar

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jongar wrote:

triggered a confirmation email and this time it arrived.

Sounds hopeful. Thanks for the update.

Coenoby

Hi @jongar,

Thank you for the update on this situation. I'm glad to hear that this appears to have now been resolved.

If you need our help again in the future, please feel free to reach back out to us on the community forums.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!