cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails from a particular sender aren't being received

moggyman
Up to speed

I am a member of Ancestry.co.uk. When someone posts a message to me in that account, I am supposed to get an email confirmation sent to my blueyonder.co.uk email address. I don't receive them. I've talked to their Support people who have double-checked there are no typos in my email details and I'm told that it's OK. They confirm that notifications were indeed sent and they received no notifications of delivery failure.

I've checked my blacklist and the sending address isn't there. The emails don't end up in Spam either. However, I got them to resend a notification I should have received in my blueyonder.co.uk Inbox last Sunday, to my Google Mail address and the email arrived straight away.

Can anyone suggest where the problem might be? At the time of writing, I'm sitting in a Chat queue and I'm not hopeful of reaching an agent any time soon, let alone one who knows the ins-and-outs of the email system.

Thanks.

41 REPLIES 41

Thank you for letting me know @moggyman.

I can confirm, I am able to see all 3 posts prior. In this case, I have sent you a private message regarding this. Please lookout for the purple envelope on the top right-hand corner and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@moggyman wrote:

This is the MSE email header...

Again many thanks for posting that.

The email notification I received in my ntlworld account came from @moneysavingexpert.com via an Amazon Web Services server.

Your Weekly Update email from your Gmail account shows it came from an @email.moneysavingexpert.com address via servers that belong to Sparkpost. They are an organisation that provides services to send transactional emails (including newsletters) to customers.

The email notification I received in my ntlworld account shows some problems with MSE's SPF record (there isn't one!) but the email still went straight to my Inbox. Naively, I would have thought VM might have flagged it as spam.

That's a common situation where the initial notification from the organisation comes via a different route to the email newsletters themselves.

The header for your MSE newsletter does up with an error in that there is no DMARC record for the sub domain email.moneysavingexpert.com . However, there is one for higher level moneysavingexpert.com domain so that may not be an issue for VM.

I am keen to see whether I do receive the MSE newsletter to my ntlworld account as well as Gmail. If I don't receive it I will try to do some more digging.

In the meantime, have you tried disabling your McAfee/Norton  filter to test whether you start to receive the MSE or Ancestry emails  to your Blueyonder address? The easiest thing might be to simply create an MSE subscription for your Blueyonder address in addition to the one for Gmail  It is easy enough to unsubscribe later on. That test would be extremely useful because it would check whether the filter in your Webmail account is somehow responsible for the various emails going missing.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for taking a look.

I disabled the filter I created after you suggested that yesterday. I'll see if I can create a new account with MSE and use my blueyonder address to see if the update email arrives there as well as in my googlemail account.

I can't subscribe to the MSE newsletter using my blueyonder address as it recognises that it's already in use. That being the case, I should have got this week's email in both accounts but it only arrived in my googlemail inbox.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@moggyman wrote:

I can't subscribe to the MSE newsletter using my blueyonder address as it recognises that it's already in use.

Ok, however, for future reference it's easy enough to unsubscribe from MSE:

mse UNSUBSCRIBE.png

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Doh! Sunday brain fog! I've unsubscribed and re-subscribed

And now we wait.........

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@moggyman 

Hi again.

The latest MSE newsletter (Fix energy now?, Martin's 0% masterclass etc) popped up in my Ntlworld address yesterday. It also arrived in my Gmail account of course.

I would expect emails to Blueyonder.co.uk and Ntlworld.com addresses to be treated in the same way by VM so it will be interesting to know what you are seeing it in your Blueyonder account.

Coenoby

Hi

Thanks for the update. I was literally updating the ticket when your message popped up. The MSE email arrived to both my googlemail and blueyonder accounts this morning, Weird. I'll leave both addresses subscribed for a while, just in case blueyonder drops out again. I will edit my ancestry.com account back to using the blueyonder account for contact and see if anything arrives. That one isn't so easy to test as there is no weekly update email, just emails when someone leaves me a message or the system finds new records which might apply to my research.

It still doesn't explain why my recent creation of an LG account didn't work when using my blueyonder address. Hmm.

I'll edit my ancestry account now and wait............

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@moggyman wrote:

The MSE email arrived to both my googlemail and blueyonder accounts this morning, Weird. I'll leave both addresses subscribed for a while, just in case blueyonder drops out again. ..

Sorry to harp on about this 🤐, but is your webmail filter turned off at the moment?

If it is then there may be something in that filter that was causing the problem. You could confirm that by re- enabling it and seeing if the MSE newsletter still comes through ok next week.

Coenoby

🙂No problem. I'm happy to troubleshoot - I do it for a living albeit in a different area of IT.

The filter I created some time ago is currently off but I'll re-enable it and see what happens next week......

I changed my ancestry.com account back to my blueyonder address but I'm not hopeful........I think I'm supposed to get a 'You've changed your email' email but nothing has been received. I can easily test that by shoving it back to googlemail to check.

I appreciate your advice and patience 👍