cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails disappeared from inbox

Flower67
On our wavelength

I logged into my virgin media email account and I can only see emails in my inbox from last Saturday. All my other emails have disappeared. I don’t know who to contact for help. 

17 REPLIES 17

Flower67
On our wavelength
Now I cannot access my email at all. It says my email is unavailable.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Flower67 wrote:
Now I cannot access my email at all. It says my email is unavailable.

Have you tried with both an email app and webmail with a browser? Exactly what do the messages say from both?

Can you still log in to the broadband account that the email is linked to? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Flower67
On our wavelength

I’ve been able to change my password and I can log back in now. I’ve tried accessing my account via my mobile, tablet and laptop. The problem with my missing emails is still there - I can’t find any email in my inbox that was there before last Saturday. All my sent emails are still there though. Thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Using webmail, check all the folders on the server including deleted and spam. If the emails are not there then they have almost certainly been lost.

VM don't keep backups. They leave that to the user. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Flower67
On our wavelength

Yes I’ve done that and there are some folders with very old emails from years ago, there are also folders with emails going back only a few days e.g inbox,deleted,junk. My sent folder has all the emails. My inbox also has a bunch of scored out emails from 2020 which have been deleted previously. So it’s really not clear why some emails have suddenly disappeared. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You didn't say but I assume this is still linked to a broadband account?  Otherwise it could be an indication that the email is being closed.  That does seem to happen in stages. 

- jpeg1

Flower67
On our wavelength

Thanks but I do still have a broadband account. I’ve made a complaint to virgin media so I’m waiting to see what they have to say. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Flower67 Do you access your emails via multiple devices using email apps, or just via VM webmail from a single device?

Previous instances of 'disappearing emails' have almost always been down to an instruction issued by a third party email app either following an update or inadvertent user error.

As previously mentioned it is your responsibility to keep backups of your email data.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Flower67
On our wavelength

I have access via both email apps (phone/tablet) and via the webmail. I haven't installed a new upgrade recently (if that's what you mean) and I can't see how I deleted a few hundred emails without noticing. Thanks