cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email

Janeehutchinson
Joining in

Our computer/iPad/iPhone will not send emails from virgin media accounts, worked fine yesterday.

emails working find from online virgin media, have tried deleting account from phone and re adding, some issue with the smtp but nothing has been changed from yesterday, husbands email had error message saying too many bad emails but not mine, any ideas anyone?

9 REPLIES 9

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, VM error code or error message is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell or Terminal and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -sv smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

From the resulting output just post the VM error code or message; do not post anything else without redacting first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Janeehutchinson,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your email address.

Can you confirm if you're still having an issue with this?

^Martin

Thank you Martin, yes we are, intending to call virgin media but have not gathered the courage yet as it’s always a soul destroying experience!

Thanks for getting back to us Janeehutchinson

Can you confirm if you've been through all the help here

Just to confirm, can you sign in fine via webmail?

Alex_Rm

Yes we can sign in and send email from the virgin media website. 
we cannot send emails from iPad/phone using the email app or from home computer via windows. No settings have been changed and everything worked fine until just after midnight on Saturday.our WiFi also went off for a while at the same time. Almost as if we’ve been blocked!
Did speak to customer services today they tried to help but it took a while and sadly the handset battery ran out and cut me off. I don’t think they could work out what the problem was but intending to call again tomorrow from a different phone. 
thank you.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do consider running the curl to help determine why access is being denied to Virgin Media' SMTP server.

By the way, your initial post mentions “too many bad emails sent” as a cause which points to your home network's public IP Address being on Virgin Media's block list. To request a de-listing would require submission of the complete error message returned by the SMTP server and then going to https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/ and:

• select an abuse type of Email Sending Errors from drop down list
  • select an abuse form of Other from drop down list
  • paste the error message9s) shown in the curl command output (but not the command itself) into the Log Evidence area
  • enter your name into My name field
  • enter your email address into Email address field
  • select Submit button

Hopefully de-listing will occur sooner rather than later but if not post back here to have the forum team investigate further.

Should the problem return after de-listing consider following the advice here My Virgin Media account has been hacked.

If a VM error code is report then post just the error code here for further help.

Thank you for your advice no idea what a curl is sadly, also my husband did not screen shot the message so we shall try to get it sorted by phone, 

best wishes, Jane.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Okay but should the issue persist then try the following in Windows; hopefully the additional detail will provide the confidence to use the curl command:

1. press ⊞ Win + R
  2. In the Open field type cmd then select OK
  3. In the Command Shell windows that opens type:
    curl -s smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com
    press Enter key to execute command
  4. The resulting output from the command will be similar to:
    214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
    214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
    214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
    214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
    This shows that a successful connection was made to the email server
  5. Type the following command now where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:
    curl -sv smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password
  6. The resulting output from the command will be more verbose than the previous example and similar to the following; note that areas redacted before posting here are indicated by the text  *** REDACTED ***:
    *   Trying 212.54.56.51:465...
    * Connected to smtp.virginmedia.com (212.54.56.51) port 465 (#0)
    * schannel: disabled automatic use of client certificate
    < 220 csmtp1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp ESMTP server ready
    > EHLO *** REDACTED ***
    < 250-csmtp1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net hello [*** REDACTED ***], pleased to meet you
    < 250-HELP
    < 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
    < 250-SIZE 52000000
    < 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    < 250-PIPELINING
    < 250-8BITMIME
    < 250 OK
    > AUTH PLAIN
    < 334
    > *** REDACTED ***
    < 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM304)
    * Closing connection 0
    * schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465
  7. Look at the 3ʳᵈ line after occurrence of > AUTH PLAIN to see cause of failure which in this instance is  VM304

Hi @Janeehutchinson,

If you need help following the call with the team that you've mentioned and if the steps advised by @用心棒 also don't help then please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!