cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email via webmail Forbidden

DtDebs
Joining in

Hi

for the last 2 days when I try to log onto emails via webmail I get the Forbidden page.  I have cleared cookies & cache, have tried on google Chrome, Microsoft Edge & Safari - all say forbidden please help.

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DtDebs wrote: I get the Forbidden page.  I have cleared cookies & cache, have tried on google Chrome, Microsoft Edge & Safari - all say forbidden please help.

In many cases it seems to require action by VM to resolve that "403 Forbidden" error.

However, quite a few forum posters wiith the 403 Forbidden error have found it was resolved when they reset/changed their VM email password.

Here's an example https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Error-Code-403/ 

It would be worth trying that.

Coenoby

Just in case you don't know how to reset the password yourself here's what to do:

Sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn   using the VM email address and existing password of the account you wish to reset.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.
Then click on the "Account settings" tab, then  the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password. While you are on that page, make sure you set up a Password Recovery Question.

You don't mention whether you also use an email app or client to manage your emails in addition to the VM webmail service, but in case you do:

Virgin Media have recently made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

To do that scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".
You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp
You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the email apps on your various devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DtDebs, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your issues in the Community.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with accessing your emails. This is something we can certainly check for you but in order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you to pass security. 

I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. If you are using a PC/Laptop then you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox. If you are on a mobile/tablet device then instead click on the little circle icon in the top right then select 'Messages'. 😊

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs