cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email transfer

Joedzn
Tuning in
  • Following on from our quest to transfer our account into a different name through the My Rates scheme We now have a new question regarding emails following the transfer
  • Do we lose all the email addresses, primary and all secondary emails
  • Can we keep these addresses through a transfer
  • What happens to our current virgin account

Any insight would be grateful

Regards, 

Joseph Dancer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there,

I'd just like to clear up the confusion on this thread with regards to our policy on transferring email from one account to another, and whether it is possible between different account holders.

I'm afraid some of what has been advised is no longer correct as we now only transfer email between accounts with the same account holder. Transfers between different account holders is not permitted.

Apologies for inconvenience this may cause.

Best,

Michael_JK
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Joedzn wrote:
  • Following on from our quest to transfer our account into a different name through the My Rates scheme We now have a new question regarding emails following the transfer

Virgin Media have a "Move and Transfer" facility for email accounts. This is really meant for the situation where a VM customer closes their existing VM broadband account and then opens a new one but wants to keep the VM email addresses from their old VM account.

That "Move and Transfer" means that all their old email addresses get moved across to the new VM account and as a result any email addresses that have been set up on their new VM broadband account are deleted.

As far as answering your specific questions, I am  sorry but when I read through your previous posts I am not sure if you (or your brother) are proposing to:

a) keep your brother's account going and close your father's account

b) close you brother's existing account but put your father's account into your brother's name.

However whichever way the move of email addresses goes, you will lose one set of email accounts, either those on your father's account or those on your brother's account. You won't be able to keep both.

However, there is a third possibility:

c) you are proposing to keep both VM accounts going but just transfer your father's account over to your brother. if that is your plan the various email accounts could remain linked to their respective VM broadband accounts, although that itself could have its own complications for the family.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

We had applied to the my rates discount which required a account change, virgin will soon be disconnecting the current father account and creating a new account under the brothers name, , how would i go about enquiring about the move and transfer facility?

Regards

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Joedzn wrote:

how would i go about enquiring about the move and transfer facility?

Before you talk to anyone, the main point to take away from my first post is that a "Move and Transfer" facility only allows you to get one set of email accounts moved over to the new VM account that is being set up. You will not be able to move your brother's email accounts and your father's email accounts to the new VM account.

I am still not certain if you are looking to move the existing email accounts on your brother's existing account or the existing email accounts on your father's existing account to the new one that is being set up. However, the truth is that I don't need to know but  VM certainly will need to understand exactly which set of accounts  you want moved over. 😉 

I think it is best for you to wait until one of the Forum Team (VM employees) picks up on your post. They may be able to help you directly but if not they will certainly be able to give you the best advice on this.

The Forum Team will contact you via this thread in the next day or so and get the details via the Forum's private message (PM) facility.

I hope you can get whatever you are looking to achieve.🙂

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks so much for the infomation, I will await the forum team's response

Regards

My brother doesn't currently have a virgin media account, they will be opening one i assume with the my rates account transfer process, with one set of emails, from my fathers account to be moved to this new account

Hi @Joedzn

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I have just checked on this for you and we can request a move and transfer once the new account is open. This will transfer all of the email addresses on the current open account to the new account. DPA will need to be passed on both accounts for us to initiate this process. 

Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

How would I go about starting that process?

Regards

Has the new account been opened?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The my rates form has been filled and the disconnection request has been accepted by us, so im unsure of when the account will be, if not already, created

Regards