Menu
Highlighted
MJ459
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email to hotmail being rejected

Hi

Please can someone tell me what is happening and why (see extract below)......all my devices are clean and I am not using any spurious redirections etc.

Many thanks

MJ

-------- Original message --------

Date: 11/07/2018 20:01 (GMT+00:00)

To: #########@ virginmedia.com

Subject: Message Delivery Failure

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.     

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* #######@hotmail.com

Reason: This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-2-imp.

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "Re: ########", could not be delivered to ########@hotmail.com.

Messages from your IP have been determined to be suspicious as a device on your current network may have malware. Please refer to the spamhaus listing below for further infomation;

https://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/94.197.121.15

Please be aware that if you are not sending mail from your own broadband connection that the listing may have been caused by a previous user The remote server returned the below error when attempting delivery:

550:550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [**********] weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (S3150). You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. [BY2NAM01FT022.eop-nam01.prod.protection.outlook.com]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email to hotmail being rejected

You should really be asking the 3 (Mobile) Network this question. The IP address quoted is one of theirs and has been detected as a source of spam (not necessarily from your device – but any device using that IP). What do you think you were connected to when sending this email with a “From” address of “xxxxxx@virginmedia.com”? A free wi-fi hotspot – a “3HomeFi” or what?

MJ459
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for that....didn't look at it from that p.o.v.....and I shall do.

0 Kudos
MJ459
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My provider has indicated that this is spam........do I believe them...........?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@MJ459 wrote:

My provider has indicated that this is spam........do I believe them...........?

I hope the above means Virginmedia. If not - who?

Your original post implied that YOU had sent the bounced message - because you didn't say otherwise.

If you didn't send the message - your address (but not necessarily your password) has been spoofed and fed into the email system via a 3 Network server by a spammer. Read this -

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Spoofing/td-p/2941294 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi MJ459,

The failed delivery notification isn't spam. It is pretty much as BillC45 has advised and is related to the IP address you use when connected to your mobile network. Mobile networks use Carrier-grade NAT which permits the sharing of public IP's and therefore a previous user (of that IP) could have generated the spam trigger, as per the notification:

"Please be aware that if you are not sending mail from your own broadband connection that the listing may have been caused by a previous user ..."

Sending should work at some point when you re-try, or you could send whilst connected to your home network.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos