Menu
pih007
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Email stopped working - help hang up.

One of my secondary email accounts - the wife's - has stopped receiving email into the inbox. Strangely messages considered spam are still being delivered and I have a rule forwarding all mail to a gmail account which is also forwarding all her mail okay ?

So needless to say trying  to explain this to customer support is hard work and there answer is not forward me to somebody who can sort this but cut me off after they have gone through the script. 

Is there available a direct UK number ?

Has anybody on the forum had similar issues and if so how did they solve them.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email stopped working - help hang up.

To be honest - you are best starting here in the forum, as the community members can often help you to self-diagnose a problem, or point you in the direction of the Forum Team (VM employees) if in our experience it is a back-end issue.

Are you a current VM broadband customer?

Is the email address linked to your billing account?  Sign in to my.virginmedia.com and look at these two pages (photos) is the address there (and all other email addresses you expect to see)?.  Can she sign into webmail for the secondary address?  We'll worry about email clients and forwarding when we've verified that the address is working properly in webmail.

new account.pngmy services.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Highlighted
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If everything looks good then read these help areas and let us know more about your exact situation - but don't post personal details, of course.  Show error messages if possible, what system you are using, etc.  The more we know, the more we can help.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

pih007
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Looking into this further it appears that the web-mail inbox stopped working after a change of password . This a account that worked for many years and has had many changes of password so seems a bit strange.

I'll try them again but i'm running out of patience.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi pih007,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this. 

Are you a broadband customer of ours?

^Martin

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Really, I wouldn't try ringing as front line support don't always know what to do.  You (presuming you are the account holder) can reset the password on secondary accounts in most situations - go to my.virginmedia.com, and use My Profile, then Manage accounts.  And if it does not work, the Forum Team here (VM employees) are much more experienced and can assist or raise a ticket with the correct department.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-temporarily-locked

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-compromised-mailbox-alert

ETA ~~~ See - Martin is here now and you'll be right as rain in no time!

MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@pih007 wrote:

Looking into this further it appears that the web-mail inbox stopped working after a change of password . This a account that worked for many years and has had many changes of password so seems a bit strange.

Not sure if the password change you mention was done by your wife, or you, or Virgin.  I've been mulling over this and recall seeing advice (many times, on this forum) about the servers occasionally getting out of sync with passwords.  The advice is to reset the password TO THE SAME PASSWORD, and then the servers will get back in sync.  Obviously, check all devices are using the correct password.

0 Kudos
pih007
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

History:  I've been a broadband/tv/phone customer since ntl days, I have a secondary email account that has been active for years that stopped working ( the wife's so there's pressure involved). Approx 2 weeks ago after a password change the webmail inbox stopped working nothing going out or in, I changed passwords on 4 other email accounts at the same time all without issues. Strangely I have a forwarding rule for all mail from this account to a gmail address and this still works ?

So far:  Attempted to solve this with customer support and i'll defy anybody who can explain this and get results - highly frustrating.

UK phone support Virgin media maybe !

Searched though forums/google for various tips/ideas/resets/orig passwords/etc but so far no answer.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello pih007

You have marked this thread as "solved", which by reading your most recent message it is not solved.  Please scroll back to my post and use the post options to unmark the helpful answer tick.  I'm sure a Forum Team member can help you, they are experienced VM employees who have access to all your details and can investigate and fix or advise you.

They will send you a private message to get your account information.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pih007,

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on the Community. 

I am sorry to hear about the problems with receiving emails. I would like to take a closer look if that's okay?

Ill pop you a private message over and this will appear in the purple envelope on the top right of the page. 

Thanks, 

Nat
0 Kudos