Menu
Clarebrown
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Email spam

Received the following this morning, can  you confirm if this is spam?

We were unable to process the payment for your latest Virgin Media bill. The billing details associated with your account have expired recently. Your service is scheduled for disconnection on:

31 October, 2018

Please click below to update your billing details now, so that we may retry the payment for your bill:

[link removed]

Kind regards,

cThen hVirgin uMedia rteamn

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email spam

What do you think it is?  You've left a live phishing link in your post (which I will arrange for the Mods to remove). Hover over what seems to be a VM link and see what it gives you. These do the rounds all the time:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-24-10-2018/td-p/3858544

So you can confirm for yourself what this is.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
SDC
Super solver
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yup, it's spam. The link target (what you see in the status-bar when you hover your cursor over the link) is clearly nothing to do with VM. The last line is a giveaway too.

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Snap!

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Squashyman1
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email spam - Bill cannot be processed service to be disconnected

Yep - I got one of these emails today as well. Does that mean my virgin email has been hacked and if so what do I need to do?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There is no reason to be believe you have been the victim of hacking. This scam has been doing the rounds for ages. Your e-mail address has probably be gleaned from a web site that has been hacked but for your account to be compromised your e-mail password is required as well.

But if you want to be totally cautious follow the guidance here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
adrianhh
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Had one of these today - very authentic apart from the 'from' email address, it started well, but everything after webteam.virgin.media followed by a string of letteres and numbers, ending in .fr gave it away.

Tried to use the phishing@virginmedia.com email to report it as per the advice and got bounceback!!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adrianhh, 

Thanks for letting us know about this, we'll get it fedback and see what's going on. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Beckenham2
Settling in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VM SPAM filter used to be very good, but now I also frequently get the email from VM to say there is a problem and I should log-in using the link that goes to a hacked (presumably) web site.  Worrying but is it usually arrived the same day as the genuine email from VM to say my bill is ready.  I also get email from a landscape company in USA to say my TV License need to check my details.

The VM SPAM filter used to be very good but I have had to close my account and open a new one because I was getting hundreds of SPAM messages a day.

I did manage to find a web form to submit a complaint, which they acknowledged and said the 'Resolution Team' would reply within 7 day - but that was over a month ago now so I am not holding my breath!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beckenham2,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that you're getting more spam than normal. Have you reported these to our team via our email phishing@virginmedia.com?

In regards to your complaint, it sounds like our team have received this and will get back to you as soon as they can. Can I ask that this was in relation to the spam emails you're receiving?

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos