cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email sent to invalid email address

Markyd987
Just joined

I have sent an email to an invalid email address.  I received an email back from blue yonder stating that the email address is invalid.

However I cannot find a copy of the email that I sent in my SENT folder.  

Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Markyd987 wrote:

Any ideas?

The big question is did you actually send that email?

1) If you didn't send it then it means someone-else sent it giving your blueyonder email address as the sender / return address. The reason it is not in your sent folder is that they sent it using their own email software not from your VM Webmail account. If they had not sent it to an invalid address you would never have known anything about it.

If you did not send that missing email you must follow the advice that Virgin Media have given here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security/why-is-my-virgin-media-email-hacked 

A few caveats though:

• You can use what antivirus or anti malware products you llike - you don't specifically have to use those VM recommends.
  • VM have changed some of the screens in their account pages. So whenever they refer to "My Profile" you will need to click on the "Update settings" tab and then the "Account details" tab . That "Account details" contains the options previously in the "My Profle" page. Also, the "Security question and answer" is now called the "Password recovery question".

If you are interested you can see the text of the email that was sent. It will be a .eml document attached to that non delivery report from Virgin Media.

It willl almost certainly be a spam email, probably one of the many (possibly hundreds) that the hacker is sending out using your VM email address as the sender / return address.

2) On the other hand, if you did send it then you need to give some more detail on the background.

Did you send it using VM Webmail  or an email app (perhaps on your phone) or an email client such as Microsoft Mail?  Also, is this the only email missing from the sent folder or there others missing?

Hope that is helpful.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks