cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email sending problem

Raypreston
Tuning in

Hi

2 days ago, when trying to send an email from my Imac, I had a pop up it could not send due to a server error, I think. Anyway, I then had the exact same problem when trying to email from my mobile.

The email app I was using on my Imac was Apple's standard 'mail' app and on my Samsung mobile it was Samsungs mail app.

Having  done a  bit more digging it would appear I am having an authentication problem.

When trying to log into my email account using my mobile I get the error, 'Server does not support authentication', wheras on my imac it says 'unable to verify account name or password'.

I have changed NOTHING on either device, but I not seem to be locked out of my email.

Can anyone PLEASE help me?? Virgin Media dont really want to know and all they say is,' they cannot guarantee that third party devices would be able ato access the mail using apps'!!!!

Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In which case you need to follow the instructions to request delisting.

The Moderators will remove your IP address from your post as it should not have been published.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Raypreston
Tuning in

Oh, just to add, I could receive email ok, just not be able to send it!!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What error message, if any, do you get when accessing the email account via Virgin Media Mail at https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

If it is mailbox unavailable then try following the instructions set out here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-accounts-locked-mailbox-unable-unable-to-access-ema...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

I can access my 2 email accounts using Virgin Media Mail through the browser. My issue is that I cannot now access them using the email app on my Mac or on my mobile.

Interestingly enough, If I use the terminal and type the following.....

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

As you instructed another user that was having a similar problem, I get the following at the botto of the log:

< 421 csmtp4.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp Virgin Media has blocked your connecting IP [REMOVED] Too many bad emails have been sent. Visit https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport Section: Email Sending Errors to request delisting
* Got unexpected smtp-server response: 421
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, Client hello (1):
curl: (8) Got unexpected smtp-server response: 421

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In which case you need to follow the instructions to request delisting.

The Moderators will remove your IP address from your post as it should not have been published.

Ok thanks. But why would this have happened? I have done out of the ordinary!

OOPS!!! 

I mean I have done NOTHING out of the ordinary!!