cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email's not secure BEWARE

nin10
On our wavelength

Email has changed today and google says that site is not secure. What do we do now!!

20 REPLIES 20

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Web browsers will flag a secure web page (HTTPS) as insecure if it fetched content from an insecure (HTTP) source; read more here. In webmail the most likely cause is an inline image in a message sourced over HTTP; note by default webmail is set to not show such images without user confirmation. Navigating away from such a message and refreshing the web page (Ctrl + R) will restore the secured status.

nin10
On our wavelength

How do I find out which message is creating this problem? Or shall I have to delete all my emails?

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To be frank deleting the email is overkill.

Typically the main connection to the server is secure and in most cases even if there is a HTTP link in one of them, it's only the resource (usually an image)  that's being linked to that can be seen or altered.

If you have the settings set so that pictures are automatically opened then you might want to go into the email settings and turn this off.

Once you've done this you can then reload the main page to see if it shows as insecure..

If it doesn't then you can select view images in each individual email to see which one's trigger the warning.  Many of the big email senders are starting to use https:// resources for the images in their mail, but I suspect there's still a fair few that don't.

However I'm not a fan of these warning messages.  They scare people unnecesarily.

The time to worry is when you're on a Bank or Shopping website, if the site says insecure then, then you need to be wary.

As stated click the broken padock and Chrome will tell you exactly what he cause of he error is.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nin10
On our wavelength

Thank you ravenstar for your help I will try all this tomorrow, my Brian is a bit fried at the moment. But I too understand what you are saying so that’s good .I’ll let you know how I get oo😏

nin10
On our wavelength

See even my spellings gone to pot….Brian…brain…oo…on

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nin10 wrote:

See even my spellings gone to pot….Brian…brain…oo…on

Pleased that you cleared that up. I was a bit worried about poor Brian. 😃

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

i have the same issue mine says not secure, when i click for more information it says "your connection to this site is not fully secure"

I have a triangle with an ! in it . It should be a lock symbol.

ok i found which email is causing it, but surely your email site should always be secure not changeable because of an email

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@yellowpjs wrote:
ok i found which email is causing it, but surely your email site should always be secure not changeable because of an email

Virgin Media's email site does remain secure, the http image in the email is served from a different site - controlled by the email sender rather than VM, but because the browser has seen one http connection, it thinks the whole site is suspect.

That's why I hate these messages, I know they're intended to be helpful, but IMHO they cause unnecessary worry.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only determination the browser can make is that the page is insecure due to the HTTP content and expecting anything beyond that is a risk. Thankfully with most sites now supporting HTTPS and browsers moving towards HTTPS-Only Mode this insecure issue will be an annoyance of the past but sadly replaced with the odd question about broken links.