cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email returned error message

brian_ramsden
Tuning in

On replying to e-mails from a  contact with whom I have been corresponding for years, I am now, for the last about 3 months, getting my e-mails "undelivered", even when I am replying to their e-mail.  I can immediately send the identical e-mail from my g-mail account without any problem. Emails from my gmail account to this contact never get returned undelivered. This is the only contact with whom I have this problem. The return message is  "SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
521 5.3.2 Service currently unavailable"

Can anyone help please?

13 REPLIES 13

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello brian_ramsden

Thanks for your post 

Can I please ask if you have tried sending as blank email with no attachments 

Does this happen on our Wifi as well as a mobile Network

Are you using webmail or though a client like Outlook etc 

Have you asked the recipient if they are aware of any other issues from there side 

Gareth_L

Sorry about the delay in replying. When I tried to reply using the link in the support e-mail notifying me of your reply I got the attached error message.

Virgin e-mail problem.png

I have just realised that I can reply from the forum post directly. In response to your questions, blank e-mail get bounced; I am using Thunderbird, but the messages still get bounced if I use webmail. The recipient hasn't had any problems with any other of their contacts.

I have been trying to reply to your message from the link in the e-mail notifying me that you had replied, but I keep getting an error message Exception ID: 3043209A. I have tried replying directly from your posting, but that too led to an error message. I am trying again.

In answer to your questions - blank e-mails get bounced

- I am using Thunderbird, but I have tried using web-mail and the message still gets bounced

The recipient doesn't haver any problems with any other contact, and this recipient is the only one with whom I have a problem, and the problem only occurs if I use my virgin.net account. Gmail work fine.

brian_ramsden
Tuning in

I haven't been able to have the issue resolved I'm afraid.

Yes, my issue continues. I wonder: do you know who your friend has his email hosted with? My particular issue is Virgin Media emails sent to my work account on OVH. If your friend is also with OVH it suggests a larger problem!

Sorry, but I don't know. They are in France, so I suspect it will be either Orange or SFR.

Actually, the fact they’re in France is interesting. OVH is a French company - a huge one - so it’s possible they’re with them.

Thanks for the info anyway. Much appreciated!

Did this ever get resolved?

I have two contacts in France and my emails to both get returned. From the delivery failure emails, the "Remote-MTA" ends in "ovh.net" so I assume both are on OVH. The "Reporting-MTA" is "dns; smtpq2.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net" which appears to be blacklisted by OVH on another forum topic (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/VM-IP-Blacklisted-causing-emails-to-bounceback/m-p/477353...).

Interestingly, the emails tend to successfully send from our old ntlworld email address but I would prefer to be able to use the current virginmedia one.

Unfortunately I’m still having the same problem. All messages from either my ancient blueyonder or my new VM account bounce back when I email my OVH account, as do the emails of a colleague who also has a blueyonder account. I’ve given up chasing VM and OVH - neither solved the problem and both parties said it was the fault of the other. All other emails to my OVH account seem fine so I’ve just set up a Yahoo account and use that now. 
I’d be very interested to hear if you get any further with the issue than I managed!