cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email password not recognised

MBBBear
On our wavelength

Hi, I'm locked out of my mailbox again! Same error message about me not providing a password which is not the case. I suspect the mailbox has been locked out again. Can someone please get in touch and reset the account for me?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MBBBear wrote:

I suspect the mailbox has been locked out again

You may well be able to do that yourself.  It is definitely worth a try. 😉

Entering your email address here  https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password  and then follow the prompts to reset your password.

Once you have done that, wait at least 30 minutes before trying to check your emails again.

If that does not work, then as you have intimated you will need to wait for one of the Forum Team (VM employees) to pick this up.

VM say they lock email accounts if they see evidence that the account has been hacked. As the account seems to repeatedly keep getting locked, I would strongly suggest you need to follow all the advice here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-has-been-hacked to make your account has secure as possible.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MBBBear wrote:

I suspect the mailbox has been locked out again

You may well be able to do that yourself.  It is definitely worth a try. 😉

Entering your email address here  https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password  and then follow the prompts to reset your password.

Once you have done that, wait at least 30 minutes before trying to check your emails again.

If that does not work, then as you have intimated you will need to wait for one of the Forum Team (VM employees) to pick this up.

VM say they lock email accounts if they see evidence that the account has been hacked. As the account seems to repeatedly keep getting locked, I would strongly suggest you need to follow all the advice here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-has-been-hacked to make your account has secure as possible.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

MBBBear
On our wavelength

Thanks for getting back but sadly resetting the password doesn't help.

My blueyonder email doesn't seem to have the autoforward option.

I'll get the malware scanner which is a good idea - but in the meantime can someone from the forum team please get in touch to reset the account for me?

MBBBear
On our wavelength

It looks like my problem isn't unique and many other users having experiencing similar issues. Would it be possible that a hacker has got hold of a whole bunch of virgin media / blueyonder etc email addresses and is just trying to crack the password simply by trial and error - hence locking out our accounts after a few attempts (repeatedly)?

If my laptop has been hacked, then surely they'd already have the password??

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MBBBear wrote:

It looks like my problem isn't unique and many other users having experiencing similar issues.

Certainly it is true that many other people are having the same issues. It has been a growing problem for a long time, it is not a new thing. 😉

As you are probably aware, I do not work for Virgin Media so I have no inside information but I don't think that it is because of any data leak of email passwords.

I think it is much more likely the number of similar cases is down to a combination of:

1) The comparatively low level of security on VM email accounts makes them a comparatively soft target for hacking. (VM passwords can only be up to !0 letters and numbers with no special characters and there is no option to use 2 Factor Authentication)

2) The security checks that VM run for possible hacking may well have become too strict. Some of the blocked accounts may well be false positives and not due to real hacking attempts. For example, one poster described how his account had been blocked several times due to unusual filter rules being set up. However, he had set those rules up himself. 😮

I must emphasise that those comments are purely my own personal thoughts, nothing more.

Regarding your comment "If my laptop has been hacked, then surely they'd already have the password??" that's why simply changing the password is not enough to secure the account. You also need to remove any malware that could be feeding your details to the bad guys. 😉

Since resetting the password did not help, Hopefully the @Forum_Team will pick upon this thread in the next day or so. If you are still a VM Broadband customer they will be able to get the account unlocked for you.

Coenoby

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Hopefully the @Forum_Team will pick upon this thread in the next day or so. If you are still a VM Broadband customer they will be able to get the account unlocked for you."

Apologies I used the old tag there, I should have said  @ForumTeam .

Coenoby

MBBBear
On our wavelength

Thank you for the insight!

in your experience, is the virgin internet security software any good at £3 a month? What other scanners would you recommend?

MBBBear
On our wavelength
@ForumTeam please help to unlock / reset the account

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The forumteam tag is not monitored.

@ModTeam 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi MBBBear,

Thanks for your post, I'm sorry to hear that you've been locked out of your email account again. I can certainly help with this.

I'll pop you over  a PM now so I can take some more details from you and assist 🙂

Kind regards

Beth

Beth