Menu
Highlighted
kenmca
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Email password lost

I set up a new VirginMedia email address a few years ago purely so that I could sell some books on Amazon. I sold quite a few but I still have several for sale on Amazon.

I decided to reduce the prices drastically to get them all sold (or failing that, to take them off sale), but I can't even get into my Amazon selling account without my email details. That's where the problem comes in ... I can't remember my email password!

Needless to say, it's impossible to get to speak to someone at VirginMedia to ask this simple question, and all their 'help' links are useless.

Anyone got any idea how I can rediscover my VM email password? Without it I can't access my Amazon account.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

- Ken

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email password lost

Sign into My Virgin Media as the primary account holder and then go to  My Profile, Manage Accounts to confirm the email address still exists and to change the password; note, if an email address is not used for 90 days then Virgin Media may suspend or delete the mailbox.

kenmca
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. The email address was still listed, which I assume means it is still available/functional, and I managed to change the password.

However, I went into Thunderbird and tried to add it as a new email account so that I could see my inbox, etc, but it kept telling me the address or password was wrong. Could this just be caused by a delay in the new password becoming active, or could it mean the mailbox has been deleted? It did say "Configuration found at email provider" when it had finished checking my details, so I'm assuming the mailbox is still active.

Or is there another way to view my mailbox? I tried putting my details into myemail.com, but it told me "We could not locate your mail server."

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The autoconfiguration information used by Thunderbird simply aids setup it does not confirm access to the account; that occurs later once the account is setup and tries to retrieve / send messages.

AFAIK there is no delay to a password becoming active. Try signing into webmail?

0 Kudos
kenmca
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I tried signing in to webmail but the account was not showing. I tried to add the account and got this message:

"Auto-configuration failed. Do you want to configure manually?"

I don't think I should need to do it manually, but if I do need to, do you know what details I need to put in? I'm not at all confident of what to put in.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There is not a need to add the account in webmail therefore I am guessing you tried to sign in with the credentials of the Virgin Media account for which you reset the password but that failed so you used your primary account credentials instead. Is that correct?

The error message shown (see below) when you tried to add the email account indicates an issue that will require help from Virgin Media staff to resolve; either call support or wait the Forum Team (@ModTeam) to respond to your flagged post.

2018-06-12.jpeg

0 Kudos
kenmca
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I tried to add the account because it wasn't showing. My main email account was showing, plus a couple of others. I was able to see mail in my inboxes in those accounts. I just thought I needed to add the account that wasn't showing.

If I don't add the account, how do I see what's going on with that email address?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@kenmca wrote:

If I don't add the account, how do I see what's going on with that email address?

You can sign in with account you wish to see, for example if the account for which you reset the password was named kenmca_secondary@virginmedia.com then on the sign in web page you would use its credentials:

2018-06-12.jpeg

If you wanted to view another of your Virgin Media accounts then the options are:

• sign out and back in using the credentials of the other email account
  • consolidate the other accounts under a single account by using the Add email account option; as well as adding Virgin Media accounts you can add those from other provider in most cases.

However do note that the error message:
2018-06-12.jpeg
indicates an issue with the email account which can only be resolved by Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
kenmca
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

When I try to sign in using the username and password I have, I keep hitting a brick wall. I don't know what to do, apart from contacting Virgin Media. But I don't even know how to do that - all their 'help' avenues lead nowhere.

Any idea where I can email a question?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

2018-06-12.jpeg
Press 1, enter Virgin Media phone number or press # to enter account / area reference, then 2, followed by 1 after which a test will occur and hopefully finally lead to a person

Or just wait for a forum team member to reach your post.

0 Kudos