cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email no longer downloading

Pete-StAlbans
Dialled in

My email no longer downloads to my device since Monday 28 June 2021. It says error on account since 03/05/21!, but emails have been downloading since until 28 June 2021. 

Error says username or password is incorrect. The username is correct, the password is correct and I can use both to access my email account online via Virgin Media. 

I have the Mail app downloaded on my iPhone SE (2016) running iOS 14.5.1. 

I have rebooted, re-entered the password on my account via the General mail settings. 

Not sure what I can try next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can I recommend that if you are using multiple devices to access the same email account that you STOP using POP3

The recent: thing has been covered in other threads.  It was a Gmail specific addition that does nothing on normal email servers,  It USED to be removed quietly on login  but VM have recently changed their setup.

IMAP is the recommended mail protocol if you are using multiple clients.  Not least as POP3 doesn't see all the folders on the server.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Pete-StAlbans
Dialled in

RESOLVED

I removed the Mail (Apple) App from my Apple iPhone. Re-installed from the cloud.

For me the issue on both my Virgin net email accounts was that the INCOMING MAIL SERVER Username had "recent:xxxx.x.xxxxx" instead of " xxxx.x.xxxxx@virgin.net" .... the "@virgin.net " had disappeared.

When I tried to re-enter it didn't like the "recent:" anymore. So I removed that. The is now just "xxxx.x.xxxx@virgin.net". Account then verified (when I hit Done.)

And slowly my inbox rebuilt on my phone.  250 messages at a time. 

For several years I have used the prefix "recent:" on my incoming server so that emails would both download to my phone and my home computer once. So that I had emails on both devices. Deleting from one device didn't delete from the other. I have delete from server never switched on. I think I read somewhere that thi is now the default setting for VM emails anyway so no need for the "recent:" prefix.

Hi @Pete-StAlbans,

Thanks for popping back with an update and I am glad to hear this been resolved for you. 

Let us know if you have any other problems.

Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can I recommend that if you are using multiple devices to access the same email account that you STOP using POP3

The recent: thing has been covered in other threads.  It was a Gmail specific addition that does nothing on normal email servers,  It USED to be removed quietly on login  but VM have recently changed their setup.

IMAP is the recommended mail protocol if you are using multiple clients.  Not least as POP3 doesn't see all the folders on the server.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks