cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email login problem

JohnCoward
Joining in

My wife has what seems to be a common Virgin Media problem, she can't login to her virgin.net email account, either from Outlook or the Edge browser. The password has not been changed by us. The official support instructs her to change the password but the new password is not accepted by the software, even though it meets all the syntax requirements, does not contain a word, has not been used before, etc.

We need some help from Virgin please!

John C

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi JohnCoward,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're having some issues with your email account.

So I can take a closer look at this I'll need a few more details from you, I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

JohnCoward
Joining in

I should add that the email which needs unblocking is my wife's not mine but we can sort that out by private message

Hi JohnCoward,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're having some issues with your email account.

So I can take a closer look at this I'll need a few more details from you, I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

terr-virg-hlp-1
Tuning in

I run 6 Virginmedia Email accounts (For different groups/family/etc.) and the last few weeks I kept being told I could not log in -Wrong password' or similar, next day (or few days) I could access it again fortunately I make copies of my emails weekly (just create a folder on you computer- highlight the emails you want to keep an drag and drop- I use outlook-. You then have an independent copy of your emails. However it used to be so easy, if you had a problem go to the primary account, and reset the passwords and away you went, but that option is no longer available, all you do now is 'DELETE'.

I have in the past had my email 'hacked' , so I changed the password- no problem- Now you do not have that option - only DELETE. and yes I was one of the first when Blueyonder started laying cables, and yes I have been through the Virginmedia telephone ring around system.

I have stayed with virginmedia , because of the (what was a good) email system, however If I cannot rely on their email, what's my incentive to keep giving Virginmedia my money?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@terr-virg-hlp-1 wrote:

I run 6 Virginmedia Email accounts (For different groups/family/etc.) and the last few weeks I kept being told I could not log in -Wrong password' or similar, next day (or few days) I could access it again fortunately I make copies of my emails weekly (just create a folder on you computer- highlight the emails you want to keep an drag and drop- I use outlook-. You then have an independent copy of your emails. However it used to be so easy, if you had a problem go to the primary account, and reset the passwords and away you went, but that option is no longer available, all you do now is 'DELETE'.

I have in the past had my email 'hacked' , so I changed the password- no problem- Now you do not have that option - only DELETE. and yes I was one of the first when Blueyonder started laying cables, and yes I have been through the Virginmedia telephone ring around system.

I have stayed with virginmedia , because of the (what was a good) email system, however If I cannot rely on their email, what's my incentive to keep giving Virginmedia my money?

Following a change made by VM earlier this year each email address now has its own My Virgin Media account where you make changes to settings such as password and recovery questions. 

As you have noticed this is no longer possible from the primary account for secondary accounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

This is the message I have received from Virgin Support:

An email account/address needs to be linked up to an account which has an active broadband service with us. If it isn't then the email account/address is removed and then deleted shortly after, usually within 90 days of the broadband service disconnecting but sometimes it gets missed when scanned by the system and stays active for longer.

We detail within the agreed terms and conditions that the email account/address will be removed if there's no active broadband service.

Apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

This was my response:

I cannot find anywhere in the terms and conditions where it says VM may terminate the email service when the client has not terminated the broadband contract.

VM has taken unilateral action to terminate my wife's email when it has been linked to my own email account for over 25 years, and I have been paying and still am paying VM for both broadband and mobile services.

I think you would find in a court of law that VM is in breach of contract, but I'm no expert.

Not only have you removed my wife's email without any justification, warning or apology but I will now forced to move my own email account because I cannot rely on a supplier who behaves in such an arbitrary manner and removes not only current email access but also historical email records. 

This is appalling customer service.

John Coward

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm sorry to read that this has happened to your wife's virgin.net email address.

However, to add clarity to this situation for other readers of this community, it is not uncommon for this to happen to virgin.net addresses.  These would have either been created as dial up accounts before cable broadband existed or through the Virgin ADSL broadband via a telephone line service.  Both of these services were switched off some years ago.

Unless users took positive action to get the addresses moved to new VM cable broadband accounts then they became orphaned and, as such, liable to deletion without further notice at any time.

There is a post here explaining this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/jump-to/first-unread-m...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks