cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email locked

Saffron1408
Joining in

My email account won’t let me in it says it doesn’t recognise the email or password however I know they’re correct

I can’t  reset my password but didn’t work please help

6 REPLIES 6

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have a current VM broadband account to which the email address concerned is attached?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Saffron1408

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community 🙂

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your email account.

As mentioned by @Graham_A  are you an active broadband customer of ours at the moment?

Please pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi no I’ve not got a mobile or internet or broadband account with virgin media only an email account 

thank you 

@Saffron1408 wrote:

Hi no I’ve not got a mobile or internet or broadband account with virgin media only an email account 

thank you 

I'm afraid to say that there are no email only accounts and really there never have been. An email address has to be associated with an active VM broadband account otherwise it is regarded as being 'orphaned' and as such is prone to being deleted at any time.

Does this email address date all the way back to the old Virgin dial up service or ADSL service? Is so then when these were all wound up in 2015/2016 (I believe) customers were told that they needed to sign up for a broadband service with Virgin Media to keep the old address otherwise they would be deleted after a relatively short period either 90 days or one year depending on if you agreed to move your ADSL service to Talk Talk who took over the ADSL service but NOT the email addresses themselves.

Sometimes though, an address would slip through the net and not get deleted on time and could linger on for ages before finally being swept up in a periodic cleanup of old accounts, which I strongly suspect has happened to yours. If this is the case, then the email address, mailbox and all of the email within it has been or is in the process of being deleted.

As you are not a VM broadband customer, there isn't anything for this email mailbox to be attached to. There is a small chance that a password reset might gain you temporary access (emphasis on temporary) or the forum team might be able to check with the backend IT people to see how far the process has got and maybe temporarily reinstate it, but I am not hopeful. There have been a couple of recent posts from the forum team saying that VM's IT staff are no longer prepared to do this ex-customers, but in a day or so, one of them should get back to this thread and be able to advise accordingly.

Realistically, I would suggest that you work on the basis that the email address has gone permanently and make a start on setting up an alternative provision and advising all of your contacts accordingly.

Hi, okay I didn’t realise that was a thing. My home have virgin media broadband and internet however I’m not sure it’s linked to my email as when I tried to sign in the other day to the broadband account there was two emails linked to it however neither of them are mine is there any way to get it linked to my home broadband (which is owned by my parents) 

Also I had this email set up years ago 

thank you

Hi @Saffron1408 thanks for getting back to us.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R