cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email is unavailable

rogersr13
Tuning in

Hi I was emailing fine 30 mins ago now it states my account is unavailable! is there a general issue or is it my account?

Cheers

16 REPLIES 16

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rogersr13 wrote:

now it states my account is unavailable! is there a general issue or is it my account?

It is your account.

The "Your mailbox is not available at the moment." message usually means that VM have locked the email account for some reason.

In many cases (but not all) you can unlock the account yourself by resetting the password.

If you are still a VM broadband customer the easiest way to do that is via your "My Virgin Media" account, that's the one were you can view your VM bills and package details) from here https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn 

Once you have signed in click on "My profile", 

If the email address is your primary address it will be displayed and you can change the password from there. If it is a secondary address you will need to click on the "Manage accounts" tab and select it from the list. Once you have selected the address, click on View/Change to the right of the address

Then click on Change to the right of password and follow the instructions.

Be sure to change the password to something you have not used before. Once you have changed it best to leave it 30 minutes before trying to access the email account to allow time for the change to synchronise across the VM servers.

Try that and see if it works for you. If not, one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) can arrange to get this sorted for you. Post back how you get on with the password change.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Coenoby

yesterday I tried to change my password after login in to  "My Virgin Media" as you described but it returned an error ! today I can't login to "My Virgin Media" I don't have a virgin broadband anymore as I moved but i have three Virgin mobiles in my name one mine and two my children's, I have over twenty years of emails and lots of legal documents which I need to get too!  Any help would be grateful .

Virgin media wouldn't close my account without emailing me would they?

Regards

Rob

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rogersr13 wrote:

Any help would be grateful .

Virgin media wouldn't close my account without emailing me would they?

I would stress that I am not a VM employee so I can only say that I have seen this situation many, many  times before on this forum.

VM email is part of their broadband package not their Mobile phone packages. If you do not have a VM broadband account then VM will close that email account as per their Terms and conditions if they have not already.

See section D6 in this link https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions#broadband 

The relevant section says:

"If this agreement ends, your right to use that email address will also end and you will no longer be able to use the email address, so please make sure you have an alternative email address and let your contacts know of the change, as we cannot do this for you."

Sadly, when they get round to it they never seem to give any warning before deleting an email account.

You can wait for one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) to pick up on your post but I think they will confirm what I have said. They may (and I stress may) be able to restore access to the account on a temporary basis but often that is not technically possible.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but sadly I have seen many other posters in a similar situation to yourself.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Hi Coenoby,

Thank you, if I can get temporary access then I could download my passed emails, and change my security authentication away from Virgin media.

Regards

rob

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rogersr13 wrote:

if I can get temporary access then I could download my passed emails, and change my security authentication away from Virgin media.

See if you have any luck changing the password from this link https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password 

I would have posted this earlier but it was not working at that point. However it seems to be working now. You will be asked for some security information though which may be a stumbling point. Edited to add, -  despite that screen telling you to enter the address for your MVM account you can just enter the actual email address you want to update.

If you can reset the password that may unlock the account for you.

Coenoby

Thank you, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly it doesn't do anything after I enter the security answers it just remains on the same screen but I will try again during the day.

Thank you for your help

Rob

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rogersr13 wrote:

Thank you, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly it doesn't do anything after I enter the security answers it just remains on the same screen

The link is working for me so the fact it does not move on from your security answers does seem to  suggest that the webmail account has been closed.

Coenoby

Hi @rogersr13,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having a bit of trouble accessing your email account. If this is no longer linked to an active broadband service/account with us then I'm afraid it's likely that it has been deactivated and permanently deleted, and with it any contacts or contents it held. Sorry.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach,

So no one is prepared to restore my data for a short period of time from backups? I am a system Admin for the NHS this can be done automatically within a matter of seconds! I am panicking as I need to get my legal emails due to a court case can I escalate this to a senior manager I was with Virgin Broadband since NTL days which is approx twenty years! The only reason I am not with Virgin now is Virgin are unable to supply broadband  at my property. Kind regards Rob