cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email hacked

MikeMurphy2001
Tuning in

My virgin.net email account of 30 years has been stolen by hackers. I can’t log into my account now because they’ve changed my password. How do I get help?

22 REPLIES 22

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MikeMurphy2001 thanks for your post here, although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here regarding your email.

Please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into this further for you, kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MikeMurphy2001 thanks for your replies via PM yesterday, I'm bringing this back to the public space.

So to clarify and reiterate, once a customer has left us, all email accounts are to be closed after 90 days of the disconnection.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused here.

Many thanks

Tom_W

So, what you’re saying is that my email account of 30 years was simply deleted by you, without warning, even though it was clearly still active?

And I have many other web accounts linked to that account as my main email address?

Is that it?

Hey @MikeMurphy2001, thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the email.
May I ask if you're still currently a customer with us or have you recently closed down your broadband account?
Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello Illyas,

I signed up to Virgin in 1991. At the time they provided me with a dial-up internet service - broadband didn’t exist then!

I moved home a couple of times and kept Virgin with me. Then I moved into an area where they could not provide a service. I had to change provider.

Virgin told me, at that time, that my email would be ‘for life’, even though I was no longer a customer.

As a result, my Virgin account was my main point of contact for 30 years. Most of my web services and accounts are linked to it as the contact point.

Now it has been withdrawn from me with no notification or warning, and against the original agreement.

How do I restore it?

Thanks,

Mike.

Morning Mike

Thanks for coming back to the thread. 

I am sorry as it's not the answer you wanted but it is correct as per the T&C 👉 https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions and specifically part D which states; 

Any email address allocated by us to you will at all times belong to us and you may not transfer the address to any person. If this agreement ends, your right to use that email address will also end and you will no longer be able to use the email address, so please make sure you have an alternative email address and let your contacts know of the change, as we cannot do this for you. Please see our acceptable use policy for more detail on email address usage and our Help and Support page on what happens to your email when you leave us.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hello John,

Thanks for your reply.

Clearly, this condition supersedes the original condition from more than two decades ago, when I was informed that the Virgin email was ‘free’ and available for life. 

I was not informed that this had changed. Nor was I informed that my email was to be withdrawn.

My problem is that I have many web accounts linked to that address. I cannot now hear from them. Of course, I have no record of who they all are.

How can I get my email account reinstated?

Thank you,

Mike.

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for your response @MikeMurphy2001 

Unfortunately, it is not possible to reinstate emails after closure. We can understand that this is not the news you wanted to hear. Typically, the email should have been deleted after 90 days of account closure https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions?_gl=1*1kmxphi*_ga*MzU4OTQ4Nz... However in some cases like yours, the account remained active until a manual sweep out by our team. Just to clarify,  are the secondary emails on the account also virgin.net in the domain? Are you unable to access them currently?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello Akua_A,

I was a systems analyst 30 years ago. I know this is not true!

I was told, over 20 years ago, that my email account would be free and available indefinitely. You changed your T&Cs without informing me.

As a result I had no opportunity to make any arrangements. A 'manual sweep' should have uncovered that this account was highly active - not dormant. Yet you arbitrarily closed it down, without notification.

This is not acceptable.

I wish to raise a complaint.

Regards,

M Murphy.