Menu
Tom-B
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email hacked pasword changed by hacker.

I am a long term Virgin broadband and email customer.

I have a shopping account with an on-line supplier.  It seems someone hacked my email address so I can no longer access it.  The change password process works by the shop sending me a One time Password.   BUT the OTP's do not reach my mail box, as it seems the hacker has cleverly put a block on the supplier's OTP email address - so I can't receive them.

The supplier tells me that they cannot fix that, but that Virgin should be able to remove the block.  I cannot reach anyone in Virgin support to explain and ask.  

Can anyone tell me how I can? Or suggest a solution?

I have changed the password on my general email set up and that works OK.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email hacked pasword changed by hacker.

As you regained access to your VM email account you should now ensure you follow all the steps set out here: 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Pay particular attention to the autoforward settings and also check for any rogue filters that may have been created to divert the OTP emails you are no longer receiving.

Also worth considering if it might be safer to have OTP messages sent to your mobile phone, if you have one, rather than to an email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tom-B
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks Graham. I probably didn't explain it too well.  I had no difficulty with my email or signing into Virgin or other sites.

The problem was just with one specific account with that on-line shop.  The password was just for that account. I use other passwords for general email and VIrgin etc. 

The issue seems to be that the hacker has somehow put a block on the OTP emails  sent from that shop.  I'm hoping Virgin can remove that so that I can renew the password for that account.   At the moment he/she can access my account using my email address and the password he has set. I can't.

Tom

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The miscreant cannot block emails from being received but they can divert those received elsewhere using an autoforward or filter rule; the latter is the more likely given the issue affects particular emails only. Please do follow Graham_A's advice to confirm the cause and remove any malicious filter rules.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tom-B
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham. That fixed it. It was a filter.  Greatly appreciate your help. I've changed my password and have access again.

I wonder now how to prevent him doing it again! Amazon seem to be very liberal in letting anyone change passwords!

Tom.

0 Kudos
Tom-B
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks  That fixed it. It was a filter.  Greatly appreciate your help. I've changed my password and have access again.

I wonder now how to prevent him doing it again! Amazon seem to be very liberal in letting anyone change passwords!

Tom.

0 Kudos