cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from one sender going into Spam

Enduser
Fibre optic

I have run this past the community before but without good result.

There is one sender, a well know high St store, who's emails go into spam.

I have tried putting their address into my address book, adding a message rule to send them to the Inbox, both no good.

In the filter rule what should I put in the 'contains' field, I have tried various options from the drop down Menu but still no good.

If I use another email address for them would this solve the problem ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Enduser wrote:

I have run this past the community

You certainly did, I remember replying to you. Welcome back, sorry to hear you are still getting the same problem.

Here is the full reply I gave at the time. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Odd-error-message 

However, to save your time rereading that whole thing I have copied and pasted the three main points from my reply here:

1) "VM flag incoming emails as spam not just because they have spam content or are from known spammers. They also have checks in place to identify emails where the sender's address has been "spoofed" (falsified). In some cases that catches out genuine senders, often those using third parties to manage their email newsletters or email marketing."

Just to clarify that further, VM's checks for spoofed emails effectively override the contact list. That does make some sense because a scammer could be spoofing a contact's address to fool you into believing their email is genuine. For example, a scammer could spoof a bank's email address in order to try to trick you into giving them your account details.

2) "Setting up a filter rule in VM webmail to move all emails from them to your inbox won't work because the Webmail filter rules only work on emails that arrive in the inbox. That means that these emails will be left untouched by the filter rules."

Just to clarify, if VM has already flagged the email as suspicious because it look as if the sender's address has been spoofed it moves it to your  spam folder before the filter rules get applied. As I said before the filter rules only work on emails that arrive in the inbox.

3) "The longer term solution is to open an email account with another email provider. I use Gmail and am happy to say that their spam filters are much better than VM's appear to be. Microsoft Outlook.com is another email service that is very good. Both are free and because they are not linked to any internet service provider you can carry on using them even if you move from VM."

By coincidence that last paragraph answers the question you ask this time, namely, If I use another email address for them would this solve the problem ?

I hope my present post explains and clarifies things a bit better than I did last time.

Long story short. There's not a lot you can do to get round this annoying situation but moving to using a dedicated email provider would be a good idea.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Enduser wrote:

I have run this past the community

You certainly did, I remember replying to you. Welcome back, sorry to hear you are still getting the same problem.

Here is the full reply I gave at the time. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Odd-error-message 

However, to save your time rereading that whole thing I have copied and pasted the three main points from my reply here:

1) "VM flag incoming emails as spam not just because they have spam content or are from known spammers. They also have checks in place to identify emails where the sender's address has been "spoofed" (falsified). In some cases that catches out genuine senders, often those using third parties to manage their email newsletters or email marketing."

Just to clarify that further, VM's checks for spoofed emails effectively override the contact list. That does make some sense because a scammer could be spoofing a contact's address to fool you into believing their email is genuine. For example, a scammer could spoof a bank's email address in order to try to trick you into giving them your account details.

2) "Setting up a filter rule in VM webmail to move all emails from them to your inbox won't work because the Webmail filter rules only work on emails that arrive in the inbox. That means that these emails will be left untouched by the filter rules."

Just to clarify, if VM has already flagged the email as suspicious because it look as if the sender's address has been spoofed it moves it to your  spam folder before the filter rules get applied. As I said before the filter rules only work on emails that arrive in the inbox.

3) "The longer term solution is to open an email account with another email provider. I use Gmail and am happy to say that their spam filters are much better than VM's appear to be. Microsoft Outlook.com is another email service that is very good. Both are free and because they are not linked to any internet service provider you can carry on using them even if you move from VM."

By coincidence that last paragraph answers the question you ask this time, namely, If I use another email address for them would this solve the problem ?

I hope my present post explains and clarifies things a bit better than I did last time.

Long story short. There's not a lot you can do to get round this annoying situation but moving to using a dedicated email provider would be a good idea.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Enduser

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about your issue, after the above post from the very helpful Enduser - is there any other queries around this you would like answering?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for responding to this. I will set up another email address for that company.  I wouldn't be that fussed but they send a 'ready for collection' mail which contains a barcode and it's helpful to them/me if I can use it when I collect the item.