Menu
Elaine128
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email from one person not arriving

My cousin is trying to email me for the first time from his gmail account however his emails aren't getting through.  They are not in the spam or trash folders, nor in any wemail folders (I use Thunderbird) and he isn't getting a delivery failure notification.  As far as I am aware I am not having this problem with anyone else although I am receiving lots of spam!!!

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email from one person not arriving

The obvious reply to this is that your cousin has got your e-mail address wrong? Messages that are rejected and thrown back to the sender always have a deliver failure notification with them.

What are your web mail spam folder settings - they should be spam to spam folder to ensure the mail gets through. Then get your cousin to retry.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Elaine128
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the quick reply.  I've just set up a gmail account and he has emailed a copy of the original email to that and the address is correct and he is not getting a delivery failure notification.  All my spam goes into my spam folder and I have checked and his emails aren't there. It's a mystery to me why I'm not getting them.

0 Kudos
Elaine128
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I set the gmail account to forward emails to my Virgin account but the email hasn't arrived at my Virgin account.  I've sent a few test emails and they have arrived in my Virgin account.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've just sent a message to my own blueyonder account from my Gmail address and it arrived straight away.  So Virgin Media aren't blocking Gmail.

I'd log into Virgin Media's webmail and check for any filter rules that may have appeared by going into settings->email filters.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Elaine128 wrote:

I set the gmail account to forward emails to my Virgin account but the email hasn't arrived at my Virgin account.

Just to clarify, when you set an auto forward in Gmail it only applies to new incoming messages. So if your cousin's email was already in the Gmail inbox when you set up the auto forward it would not have been sent to your Blueyonder address. Once the auto forward is set up then all new incoming emails will (or 'should' Smiley Happy) be forwarded.

You definitely do need to follow Ravenstar68's advice and sign into your VM Webmail account and see if a filter has been set up there to prevent you from seeing certain incoming emails.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Elaine128
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The auto forward to my VM mailbox was set up a few months ago so should have worked.  I've checked filters in  webmail and I don't have any set up.  However all is not lost as this has given me the push to move my emails to a gmail account and ditch Virgin Media email (and possibly Virgin Media at some point).

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Without seeing the source of the mails that were forwarded, I can only hazard a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if they fell foul of the DMARC filtering which is designed to stop mail spoofing.

The Forum Team can investigate, but it takes them up to 7 days to get to a thread on here.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos