cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from internet-security@virginmedia.com

MBBBear
On our wavelength

Hi, has anyone received an email from internet-security@virginmedia.com saying your system may have malware and has been locked until the password is reset? The email seems legit enough but it's strange because I'm still receiving emails and the account is clearly not locked.

Is this a super sophisticated scam? Not sure if I should just go ahead and reset the password anyway.....

15 REPLIES 15

Hello MBBBear

Thank you very much for your details 

The email you received is legit and you will need to follow the instructions

Can you let me know if you are still having an issue please 

Gareth_L

MBBBear
On our wavelength

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for confirming - but the main reason for my question is that none of my two email accounts were actually locked and I have checked my devices with a virus scan software and they’re all clean.

is there any way you can check what prompted the message to be sent to me in the first place?

thanks

keith

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @MBBBear

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

This has been sent out to many users as precaution and isn't anything to be worried about, if your email isn't locked i'd suggest changing the password anyhow to ensure your accounts are all secure and to ease the mind 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have also had this email, twice now in as many days. None of the mail boxes associated with the account have ever been locked. If this is just meant to alert me to potential problems it's nonsense. I pay a fortune for reputable security software and malware which scan regularly and find no issues. I ran scans both times I got these emails to no avail. there are no problems. I only use webmail anyway. I don't want to change my password if it is not necessary and I thought current guidance was not to change your password all the time. What is going on?

Hi alienor,

Thanks for letting us know in regards to the email received, we are recommending changing the password to prevent potential future issues but this is of course your own choice.

Rob

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Travis_M wrote:

Hi @MBBBear

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

This has been sent out to many users as precaution and isn't anything to be worried about, if your email isn't locked i'd suggest changing the password anyhow to ensure your accounts are all secure and to ease the mind 🙂

Regards

I'm actually cocerned about this advice.  I'm going to explain why.

There are a number of agencies who work to secure the internet from threats there are a number of categories they look into.

1. Vulnerabilities found on IP addresses that can lead to devices being used to take part in DDoS attacks.
  2. IP addresses with activity suggesting a device has been infected by Malware - including zombie computers that have been co-opted into botnets.
  3. IP addresses that have been seen sending spam.

The list is not exhaustive.  Based on the wording of the OP we're looking at 2.

Lets start by syaing this.  Just because your Anti Virus/Anti Malware suite hasn't found anything - that does not mean that your network is in the clear.  There are at least THREE things to consider:

1. No AV solution is 100% effective.
  2. There is a class of malware called Rootkits that are very good at hiding from AV software.
  3. Some Malware hides on devices such as Amazon Firesticks or Kodi boxes with unsanctioned third party software added.

Some signs of Malware activity can be picked up when security researchers manage to take over Command & Control servers for some malware, so they can see what IP addresses are sending traffic to those servers.  If you are getting repeated warnings about malware infection - I certainly wouldn't ignore them.

With regards to the warning about locking your email address.  Well I'm not sure why Virgin Would say they've locked the account BUT I can tell you why they wouldn't stop you receiving mail - Simply that if they're going to send these warnings via email, if they were to actually lock the account - how would you read the email?

If you can't find the infection yourself,  I would urge you to get help from a security professional (NOT Gadget Rescue mind you - while they are legitimate, I cannot seriously recomend them for anything other than basic problems).  Alternatively consider finding a tool that you can use to check your OS without actually booting into it.  Here's a site with a number of suggestions.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-bootable-antivirus-tools-2625785

When I was with VM - I had a warning letter telling me I had an mDNS vulnerabilty on my network.  This warning was correct.  While your warnings fall into a different category from mine - It's just as likely that the information is correct also.  Please don't dismiss it out of hand.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks