cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Virgin. Is it genuine?

hogstonp
Tuning in

I have received an email telling me I have an eFax message. Sender was email@em.virginmedia.com with c.c to Online Access which is w.riaghu@gmail.com

is this a scam?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

It's a scam, trying to get you to click on a link to either a malware infected webpage, or credential-phishing page that will ask you to log in or provide account details.

VM's spam filtering has recently collapsed, and it's best to assume that any email (or indeed text message) containing a link or an odd request for you to take some action is fraudulent unless you expect to see that email.  eFaxes, DPD or Post Office deliveries, eBay or Paypal payments, free router upgrades, expired Norton, McAfee or other subscriptions, Nigerian princes, they're all automated attempts to grab access to personal details or online accounts.

The most troubling are perhaps "undelivered parcel" notifications that coincide with an expected delivery.  In that case, or anything else you want to verify, always contact the company via details on their own website, never by clicking on anything in the text or email. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

It's a scam, trying to get you to click on a link to either a malware infected webpage, or credential-phishing page that will ask you to log in or provide account details.

VM's spam filtering has recently collapsed, and it's best to assume that any email (or indeed text message) containing a link or an odd request for you to take some action is fraudulent unless you expect to see that email.  eFaxes, DPD or Post Office deliveries, eBay or Paypal payments, free router upgrades, expired Norton, McAfee or other subscriptions, Nigerian princes, they're all automated attempts to grab access to personal details or online accounts.

The most troubling are perhaps "undelivered parcel" notifications that coincide with an expected delivery.  In that case, or anything else you want to verify, always contact the company via details on their own website, never by clicking on anything in the text or email. 

Thank you