lewisp91
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email fails to send when has hyperlinks & using iphone ntlword mail

Email fails to send when has hyperlinks using iphone mail client latest ios

It sits in outbox until deleted

smtp.ntlworld.com, smtp.gmail.com, smtp.virginmedia.com all tried

errror message is the sender address (myaddress@ntlworld.com) was rejected by the server

all other email accounts work on this iphone the issue is just with my ntlworld address

Regards,

P

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email fails to send when has hyperlinks & using iphone ntlword mail

Given the error message, I don't think that the hyperlinks are your problem.

the sender address (myaddress@ntlworld.com) was rejected by the server

Means that the mail was rejected before the iPhone got to send the content of the mail.  One of the most common reasons for this is SMTP 530 VM401 authentication required.  However there are other possibilities.  But lets try this one first.

Go into outgoing settings for the account in question.  It sounds like you already know how to do this but if not use the information from this thread here:

Iphone and iPad SMTP - why deleting and recreating an account doesn't work.

Make sure that you have the following information.

Server - smtp.virginmedia.com
Port 465
SSL - on slider should be green

Username:  Your full NTLWorld Email address
Password: - password for that user name.
Authentication type - Password.

Save the settings (you'll have to verify them) and then try the send again.

Post back here and let us know how you get on.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
lewisp91
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

yes already done that with the 3 smtp types mentioned

the reason I said hyperlinks is that SMTP works for new or forwarded mails unless they have hyperlinks in them like newsletters

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do you have an example of one of the hyperlinks.  I want to see what happens if I try from my iPad

Edit - NVM I found a link from one of the many spam mails my blueyonder account receives instead.

Because I'm familiar with the fact that the error messages on iOS aren't always accurate, I wanted to test what happens if I send a mail with a known spam hyperlink in.

Here's what I got

Wrongmessage.PNG

Bear in mind that following this I then sent another message from the same account WITHOUT changing the account settings.  The second message sent perfectly.

So what does this tell me?

Your error message does not appear to tally with what we expect to see.  It's at this point I would have normally asked one of the Forum Team to check what error messages are showing in the SMTP logs for your email address.

0 Kudos
lewisp91
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What settings did you change to get the second and successful result. The error message is the same. I'm unable to forward emails with links on only on vm. These might just be a newsletter

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I didn't change any settings.  The second mail I sent just didn't have a known spam hyperlink in.

We do need the forum Team to come forward and take a look at this.  They'll need to know the time and date of the send as well as the email address it was sent from (don't post this on the main Forum, wait until they contact you via PM)

@ModTeam can you ask someone to take a look and raise this to the email team.

@lewisp91 Have you tried sending the same message say with Outlook or Thunderbird on a PC?  Certainly if that fails then we can use a logging instance to find out what the actual error code was. See my post here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

P.S.  This is why iPad's and Androids are problematic, they don't always give you the information you need, and in iOS's case the error messages can be positively misleading.

0 Kudos
lewisp91
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Issue is only with ios mail tried tbird on pc. Same emails forwarded ok on my work pc with outlook. Only VM affected

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The problem is that with the exception of glitches in how it reports errors, SMTP on iOS works exactly the same as SMTP on any other device.  This is because SMTP itself has been around since the 1980's (well before iPad's were even thought of) and while there have been some changes to the standards, the core functionality is still the same.  Indeed once you know how it works, provided you can set up a connection to the server, you can send SMTP messages with Telnet.

So if the same mail is sending from one or more devices and not another.  The problem usually lies with that particular device.

Tim

0 Kudos