Menu
Welshdevil
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Email disappears when moving folders

Say for example I accidentally deleted an email, I go into Trash, then select move to Inbox, the email never arrives in new destination and is not in the old folder either. 

It is an ntl email. 

This happens in safari and explorer.

The email does not appear in search results.

Refreshing does nothing, neither does waiting 24 hours or longer, the email disappears.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email disappears when moving folders

There is a UI bug in the Move dialogue window which misleadingly shows the incorrect folder, for example:

2019-02-07.jpeg

The destination folder is My folders > Test but looks like it is the Inbox folder; with the Archive folder list expanded you would not even notice that the Test folder was selected. @ModTeam

To locate the missing emails select an email, then Move, and see which folder was select; for the above example the missing emails where all located in the Test folder.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

There is a UI bug in the Move dialogue window which misleadingly shows the incorrect folder, for example:

The destination folder is My folders > Test but looks like it is the Inbox folder; with the Archive folder list expanded you would not even notice that the Test folder was selected. @ModTeam

To locate the missing emails select an email, then Move, and see which folder was select; for the above example the missing emails where all located in the Test folder.

Thank you for explaining that so well - I helped on a similar case the other day and knew that is what happens, but couldn't word it properly!  That is why I generally do drag and drop - I have umpteen folders and it is no fun to choose the menu option and use the Move dialogue window.  Also, the Move dialogue seems to remember the last time I used it and pre-select the prior option.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Emails-disappear-moving-from-spam-to-inbox/td-p/3928922

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Welshdevil
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I can definitely see how that can easily happen. However, I have checked my other folders and the missing email is not there.
0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Another option is to check your Sort By settings (and maybe View settings).  See if that brings it up to where you want.  Do a test with an expendable email (trash it, then try to recover it) and show us some screenshots of what happens (obscure any personal information, of course).

Set up an email client like Thunderbird which has an easier to use search function.  It might be that it is not lost, just hidden in the pile somewhere.

sort conversation.pngsort by.JPG

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

And yet another option is to check the archive folder(s) - it is very easy to hit the archive button which is next to the menu button.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Does the same issue occur if you drag and drop the deleted message from the Trash folder to the destination folder?

BTW be aware that webmail's search function does not traverse subfolders; instead each subfolder must be selected and searched separately.

0 Kudos