cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email disabled

Dcompton
Dialled in

Like so many others, my email account suddenly disappeared last Wednesday. Despite following all advice re passwords etc? I’m still not getting anywhere. No one seems to be able to give the same reason. PLEASE SORT IT OUT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Dcompton for your own sanity as well as your physical health, I would immediately setup a new Outlook.com or Gmail email address and notify your doctors to please start using that one from now on so at least you will be getting something through - please do not rely on or wait for your old email address to come back, it might but the chances are not good.

Absolutely do not regard what the 'tech team' may or may not have said or promised as being in any way, shape or form, likely to actually happen. Despite you being able to use your email address for some two years and it wasn't deleted after 90 days, is no guarantee that it will stay. It was an orphaned address and was always likely to go at any point in time - the fact that it has done so now is just a coincidence and you now being a VM customer again doesn't have any bearing on it.

What the forum team say is by far the most reliable advice you will get and the most likely to happen. If you message them with the details they ask for then they will try to help resolve this if at all possible.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I note from a post you made in February that you said you have moved to Sky.

If you no longer have a Virgin Media broadband account that would explain why the email address has been disabled.

The email account should have closed 90 days after you ceased to be a broadband customer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hello, I moved back to virgin in July . I was able to use blueyonder for the 2 years I was with sky which is a tad longer than 90 days. I was given no opportunity to save my emails or advise my contacts of a new email address. Shockingly bad treatment. Everyone I talk to gives a different excuse for why this happen. The latest being my email account ‘slipped through the net’ for 2 1/2 years lol. 
tech support said they would reinstate my blueyonder email within 7-10 days. The very unhelpful advisors on Twitter said this can’t be done. Why am I being lied to? Does ANYONE know what they’re doing at Virgin media? I’ve been advised to email them also. How can I, THEYVE DISABLED MY EMAIL! 🤦‍♀️ 

Once you left VM originally, then yes the email address should have been deleted after 90 days, often VM are quite lax about doing this and as you have found the address lingers on for some time, but is always prone to being deleted at any point after then. This is quite clear in the Ts and Cs you agreed to when you first joined VM.

The email address would have been classed as orphaned, ie not associated with a current broadband account, when you rejoined, it might (and I stress might) have been possible to associate it with your new broadband account - unfortunately I suspect that by now it is too late and the email address, mailbox and all the mail within it has now been deleted, or is in the process of being so.

As per the question of ‘why have you been lied to’ this seems to be a not uncommon occurrence with the offshore customer support staff, a mixture of poor training, inability to deviate from a script and a tendency to just make anything up to get you off the phone if they don’t know. VM have no provision for you to email them, I don’t believe they ever have had, the ‘tech support will reinstate it in x days’, was just a ‘shut up and get off the phone so I can chalk up another closed call’

Although VM’s processes and procedures can often be disjointed, chaotic and have have been lifted directly from a training manual written by Kafka, the onus was actually on yourself to make alternative arrangement regarding your email when you left two years ago. The fact that you got two years of ‘free’ email provision was a bit of a bonus but does have a habit of coming round to bite you back very hard indeed - just have a look through the many threads regarding similar issues.

I will escalate this thread to the forum staff to contact you and see what if anything could be done, but honestly I wouldn’t hold out much hope.

John

Hi Dcompton,

Thank you for your post. I am sorry if your email account deletion came as a shock, I can understand your frustration. However our community members have advised correctly here; it is stated within our T&Cs that all 'orphaned' email accounts will be deleted 90 days after your disconnection date, but this can sometimes take longer.

We can attempt to temporarily bring the mailbox back and transfer your email account over to your new active account. However I'm afraid that there would be no guarantee.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take some more details and do my best to help.

Beth

Beth

I understand this. However, I continued to use this email when I moved to Sky for 18months+ and then also continued to use it when I moved back to virgin in July. This is well over 90 days.

I was also told by the tech team on Friday that it WAS possible to reinstate it as I was a virgin media customer again, they have raised a ticket # to have it actioned, but so far, I’ve heard nothing, yet the people on Twitter says this isn’t possible. Why am I getting conflicting advice? 

Added to my frustration is that my oncologist has been trying to email me which is clearly vital for someone in my health situation. Everyone , including yourself, is saying different things. This is compounding the issue.

@Dcompton for your own sanity as well as your physical health, I would immediately setup a new Outlook.com or Gmail email address and notify your doctors to please start using that one from now on so at least you will be getting something through - please do not rely on or wait for your old email address to come back, it might but the chances are not good.

Absolutely do not regard what the 'tech team' may or may not have said or promised as being in any way, shape or form, likely to actually happen. Despite you being able to use your email address for some two years and it wasn't deleted after 90 days, is no guarantee that it will stay. It was an orphaned address and was always likely to go at any point in time - the fact that it has done so now is just a coincidence and you now being a VM customer again doesn't have any bearing on it.

What the forum team say is by far the most reliable advice you will get and the most likely to happen. If you message them with the details they ask for then they will try to help resolve this if at all possible.